Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you would do this....Honestly

How many of you would do this....Honestly

So me and my 2 hunting partners were recently in the Koots chasing elk. On the first day we set out to our favourite spot. We decided to set out a trail camera on a nice little watering hole that looked promising. Now us not being locals we only have a week to get the job done and I guess some local wasn't happy with us in his spot which isn't a very secret spot. This guy beat us into the spot 2 days in a row which is fine we just went elsewhere. The thing is he found our camera and decided to mess with it and turn it sideways. Yes maybe our fault for not locking it and our fault for thinking ppl wouldn't mess with it but I'm interested to here how many ppl would actually do this or how many think it's just a dick move. I guess he was smart enough not to steal it since his truck has a company name on the side of it, "Vast"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many of you would do this....Honestly

I've come across a lot of cameras during my hunts. I always just leave them alone. At most I wave "hello" if I happen to be in the frame before I notice it. Lucky they didn't destroy or steal it. Definitely a dick move to screw with it at all.

The worse thing I have ever done or ever would do was jump back and forth in front of it making goofy faces a few times,,said happy hunting and left

Not your fault in any way. It was a dick move on his part. If it were me, I wouldn't have touched it. Too bad everyone can't leave cameras alone.

For me it's pretty easy.
    I see something in the bush and it was clearly "lost" (a wallet, set of keys, whatever....I'll pick it up and try and find the owner).
    If I see something that's clearly there "on purpose" (game cam, truck, quad....), I just pass on by (and yes, maybe give a wave if it's a camera).

Simple stuff. If it's not yours, leave it the f*** alone.

Total dick move. No need to touch a move a guys camera. Just wave and move on. Only time I ever touched a guys camera was when a buddy and I were hunting just north of PG. Guess this guy thought a dead standing tree would make a good mount. Probably was until a windstorm blew it over and it got caught up. Figured he didn't want a bunch of pics of the ground and didn't want to get crushed if the tree cam down hard. Pulled it, flagged it with tape and walked on. Respect people's property. Only hope you have They may respect yours.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Many are dicks when no one is watching. On the other hand, I just bumped into a fellow hunter who drew me a map of all his treestands in an area so I could use them whenever. Great fellow named John, thank you sir.

sure its a dick move.
    but dont be naiive enough to think everyone is a saint out there.
    leaving a cam in a well-known spot is just asking for trouble.

You sure it was him that moved it to the side and not a bear, falling branch etc?

Weird someone would turn a camera sideways. I fail to see the point, but that said, there are some weirdos out there. Only a matter of time before they learn the hard way not to touch other peoples cameras/gear/whatever.

I have been fortunate in not having a camera stolen. I did have one go missing, but it was pretty clear that it was a bear (claw marks all over) ... other than that, running 4-5 cameras year round for almost 2 years and I have only seen 2 people. One was a hiker or hunter and the other more recently was a mushroom picker. Both saw the camera, but neither touched it at all. Both cams were promptly relocated.

Other d*** moves I noticed recently were:

- Starting our hike before first light, jeep parked at the beginning of an overgrown FSR, which we normally walk a little ways before entering the timber. Heard a truck pull up and watched from inside the treeline. The guy sees our jeep, gets out and fires a half dozen shots into the air then peels out. I guess we took "his spot" and he was trying to ruin our hunt.

- Same area, different truck, walking back that evening, two guys trying to look through the dusty soft windows of the jeep. Finally heard us and looked over, we wave and they dash into their truck and take off. Friendly and not suspicious at all eh? Should have waited to see what they would do.

Definitely some strange characters out there.

Never seen a cam in the woods yet , but the day I do see one. You bet I'll be stripping on down and going for a walk by