Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark defends grizzly bear hunt, says B.C.’s wildlife policies based on science

Clark defends grizzly bear hunt, says B.C.’s wildlife policies based on science

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/clark-defends-grizzly-bear-hunt-says-bcs-wildlife-policies-based-on-science/article26607129/

Clark defends grizzly bear hunt, says B.C.’s wildlife policies based on science

MARK HUME AND JUSTINE HUNTER
    VANCOUVER and VICTORIA — The Globe and Mail
    Published Wednesday, Sep. 30, 2015 8:46PM EDT
    Last updated Wednesday, Sep. 30, 2015 8:52PM EDT

After recently fending off criticism of British Columbia’s controversial wolf cull, Premier Christy Clark is now defending the fall grizzly bear hunt, too.
    “We aren’t contemplating any changes at the moment to the way we approach that,” Ms. Clark told reporters on Wednesday, when asked about the bear hunt.
    “We have a record number of grizzly bears in the province, a huge and growing population, and the hunt is scientifically managed.”
    She said B.C. – which this year issued more than 3,000 bear-hunting licences – does a better job of managing grizzly bears “than anywhere else in North America and we are going to keep doing that.”
    Ms. Clark argued recently, in responding to criticism of the wolf cull by pop sensation Miley Cyrus and actress Pamela Anderson, that the province’s wildlife policies are based on sound science.
    But on Wednesday, 10 environmental groups attacked the wolf cull in a letter to the Premier, saying the cull, which was implemented to protect endangered caribou, is not working. The groups called on the government to stop shooting wolves and instead to protect more caribou habitat.
    Chief Doug Neasloss, of the Kitasoo/Xai’xais First Nation, said Ms. Clark is wrong to defend the grizzly bear hunt.
    “The province always says they have the science to justify the hunt … but where are their scientists?” he said. “They don’t have one set of gumboots on the ground in the Great Bear Rainforest.”

Mr. Neasloss said his First Nation, which is based in Klemtu, about 200 kilometres south of Prince Rupert, declared a ban on grizzly bear hunting in its traditional territory in 2012. He said boats are patrolling coastal inlets this fall, and if anyone sees hunters, they will tell them the First Nation opposes the hunt and ask them to leave.
    The grizzly bear hunt opened Thursday in the Knight Inlet and Kingcome Inlet areas on the central coast, but the season has been under way since the start of September in some regions and since August in the Peace River Country. It runs until Nov. 15.
    Al Martin, director of strategic initiatives for the BC Wildlife Federation, said the grizzly hunt is carefully controlled in B.C., and wildlife managers take into account the mortality of bears from all factors before determining how many licences to issue to hunters.
    “I think what gives you confidence [in the management plan] is that in more cases than not, there’s an increase in [bear] numbers and there’s an increase in the age of bears,” he said.
    A government spokesperson said 3,469 grizzly bear licences have been issued for 2015, but it is expected that only a small number of bears will actually be killed. In 2014, 3,067 licences were issued and 267 bears were taken by hunters.
    But for those who oppose the hunt, even killing one grizzly bear is too much.
    “We’re absolutely horrified by the hunt,” Eric Boyum, who runs Ocean Adventures wilderness charters on the B.C. coast, said in an interview via marine radio. “Right now we’re half an hour away from watching grizzlies in the wild, here in an area where they are protected from hunting, but the thought that it still goes on [in unprotected areas] is just beyond our comprehension.”
    Dean Wyatt, who operates Knight Inlet Lodge at Glendale Cove, about 80 kilometres northeast of Campbell River, said tourists from all over the world come to his wilderness resort to watch grizzly bears.
    His lodge was the first in B.C. to focus on bear viewing, which has now become popular coast-wide.
    “When we started in 1998, 80 people came, and this year we just had over 2,400 people from 19 different countries,” Mr. Wyatt said. “The market is insatiable. Everyone who comes to our lodge wants to shoot a grizzly bear and every one of our grizzly bears has been shot about 10,000 times. The difference is, it’s all with a camera.”
    He said bears are more valuable to B.C. alive than dead.
    “The government doesn’t seem to be able to get it that there’s no reason to hunt these bears. … They don’t understand how valuable the business is to the economy of B.C.,” Mr. Wyatt said.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Clark defends grizzly bear hunt, says B.C.’s wildlife policies based on science

She'll defend it for ScottE. Not us.

I also have a buddy that makes a living doing Ecotours and he isn't opposed to Grizzly hunting. This isn't on the Coast tho.

Re: Clark defends grizzly bear hunt, says B.C.’s wildlife policies based on science

Clark trusts and backs the professional Bio's and that is very good policy. We dig that.
    Jelly Bo Christy
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-01-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Put those meat hooks together hunters

Good work Christy! Ditto for the wolf cull.

Nice to have some common sense up front.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

She is getting bullied by lying greedy non educated groups, its important to continue to educate and make people aware of what conservation is and how hunting is the best way to conserve. I dont bear hunt but i do understand that a managed by science hunt is a much better option that disease or future cull of a problem bear that looses fear of man.
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

What we have to realize is with these environmental groups is they don't care if their lying because their end justifies their means. They'll do anything to get to their end.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    What we have to realize is with these environmental groups is they don't care if their lying because their end justifies their means. They'll do anything to get to their end.
    Sounds just like Christy Clark.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Good work Christy! Ditto for the wolf cull.

Nice to have some common sense up front.

I agree, good for standing up against these Eco bullies!

I cannot say that CC has been in my good books in the last year. Her bullying antics have been unimpressive to say the least, BUT, she is standing her ground against the people we are battling against to protect our hunting heritage (I sound like the Beasley Bros. haha). And she is claiming that she is doing it on science based information. This is exactly what most of us want; science based wildlife management. So for this I must repsect her, but it is hesitant respect, as we know her history, to whom she shows favoratism and what she is capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I find this hard to believe in this case Hermit. Is she lying about science based wildlife decisions simply to continue to recieve financial "gifts" form the GOABC? If she is, that truly does not bode well for our wildlife and will eventually backfire when a credible scientist challenges the utilized data. She has to know that through social media the world is watching this issue closely and that she requires sound evidence that can withstand scientific scrutiny. So will it really justify her means should she be caught in an outright balatant lie? Maybe I am missing something. Like I said I am not a huge CC fan, but I must bow my head to her in this case.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    And Fischer Dude.