Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High end spotting scopes

Re: High end spotting scopes

Reason for fixed is cause I'm always cranking my spotter to max anyways, might as well keep it simple. The quality of picture I've looked through in a couple mid range spotters with fixed eyepieces were excellent. If mirage is bad the EL binos and NF scope more than take up slack on the lower end. Prices new may not be great, but lots of liquidating going on these days with the hurting oilfield, might try and take advantage and pick up used.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Look for a used Swaro Ats with the 20-60, a fixed zoom might seem like a good idea until the mirage becomes an issue. Even if you have a 20x rifle scope the spotter at 20 will be clearer and a lot easier to hold on a tripod than a rifle scope. I have a 25x swaro z5 and there's no way I'd rely on it over the spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    28 power is a bit skinny for sheep country, nightforce is 5.25#. Razor 20-60x80mm just over 4#, 16-48x65 right at 3# might do the trick but only has an extra 8x on my leu. Never seen a fixed 60x myself either yet.
    The Pentax XW series come in 3.5 ,5 ,7 ,10,14,20 interchangeable fixed lenses.That 7 is like 58 power on the 65 but unless you get a 80 millimeter objective or bigger it will not be as clear and bright as the 10(3 or 14(2 on a 65 mm scope.

http://betterviewdesired.com/Pentax-...ting-Scope.php
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    The Pentax XW series come in 3.5 ,5 ,7 ,10,14,20 interchangeable fixed lenses.That 7 is like 58 power on the 65 but unless you get a 80 millimeter objective or bigger it will not be as clear and bright as the 10(3 or 14(2 on a 65 mm scope.

http://betterviewdesired.com/Pentax-...ting-Scope.php
    nice looking unit, light too. Any idea where they're sold and price? Like to check em out
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I've been using a Vortex Razor 16-48x65 with the Summit tripod. Had to send the eye piece out within a month as it had a small spot which only showed when skyline viewing. Sent it away and had a new one returned the following week; now that's service!!! The tripod is also bang on if you're looking for one too.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have the pentax 65 as well.great glass and light.i use a good astrological 14 deg fixed eyepiece with massive fov to glass where binos wont reach. (Stones are damn hard to find sometimes)and bring the zoom for close ups but a second great fixed might work better.
    You need to go the big 3 for a great variable eyepiece if your trying to count rings at a distance.good fixed astrological eyepiecesare way cheaper than ok zooms
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

I have a zeiss 18-45 and I find the 45 doesn't get me as close as I would like. Definitely 60x next time. If there is a next time. The zeiss was kinda pricey

A fixed 60, IF you can even find one will be a royal pain in the ass trying to locate animals you've found with binos. As often as I crank my Swarovski ATS up to 60 I never have it that high when first locating something I've seen, nor when scanning and searching for animals to begin with.
    If you're stuck on a fixed power I'd go lower magnification, like 25-30x. But for hunting versatility I think a 20-60 is best. JMO.
    Trying to judge something inside 100 yards at 60 power would not be easy. Imagine NOT being able to dial down to 20 or 30 power if you needed to...
    Twist and pull.

The 60x would be tricky to locate game sometimes, but they make those little attachments to help get honed in. I had a 20-60 for a couple years and found it shaky in the wind, shitty in the heat and lower light on 60x like has already been said. It was a leu Kenai, clarity went out window after 45x so 60x was also useless. It had a 30x fixed wide angle lens that had deadly clarity, but I've found that the lower mag under 40 honestly doesn't tell me much more than my current optics do. Hence the fixed 60x idea, if weather doesn't allow good 60x use then I'll wait for better conditions or just get closer. And if I'm 100yds from something that NF will count eyelashes lol
    See some 20-60x65 Swaro's for sale used, prolly go with that.

Next year I want to upgrade my spotter and get into swaro. I want the 20-60 power for sure but I was wondering about the lens I've heard conflicting things about whether a guy should go to the 65mm or 80mm. Weight and size being an issue for the 80mm and I've heard it can be hard to focus at 60power through the 65mm lens.