Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High end spotting scopes

Re: High end spotting scopes

Depending on temperature and weather conditions, 60x is not always useable. I couldn't imagine using a spotting scope that wasn't variable. I run a 15-56x65 and use all the magnifications pretty equally throughout the course of the season. A variable is a must in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Depending on temperature and weather conditions, 60x is not always useable. I couldn't imagine using a spotting scope that wasn't variable. I run a 15-56x65 and use all the magnifications pretty equally throughout the course of the season. A variable is a must in my opinion.
    This is true, but if conditions are that bad I find myself just hiking closer and looking at em through the NF, with the safety off. No matter, doesn't seen to be such thing on the market anyway. 20-60x65 swaro it is, someday...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I guess my point is that 45x is often useable to give you a very clear view when 60x isn't. It'll save you some hiking!

KOWA - top quality at $1000 less than Swaro and other big brand names. BTW - Kowa is THE brand preferred by most birders!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Swarovski STS 20-60. The brand preferred by most hunters

I'm with TJ on the value of a variable. I use all different magnifications through a season and depending on the date/weather/distance/etc

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    This is true, but if conditions are that bad I find myself just hiking closer and looking at em through the NF, with the safety off. No matter, doesn't seen to be such thing on the market anyway. 20-60x65 swaro it is, someday...

I have a NF also, plus a swaro 20-60-60. Dont try to compare your nf to a spotter. No comparison, spotter used for spotting Nf used for killing. You also can glass on 20 with a pitsol grip tripod, works well. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
    I have a NF also, plus a swaro 20-60-60. Dont try to compare your nf to a spotter. No comparison, spotter used for spotting Nf used for killing. You also can glass on 20 with a pitsol grip tripod, works well. JMO
    My point being that the rifle scope is more than sufficient to judge full curl from a long ways, running a spotting scope under 45power seems useless to me for counting rings etc. and might as well use the NF. Pretty much to the point where I'm looking for that particular ram, one that will stick out as toad regardless of magnification. Perhaps my Leupold is fine for that even from afar at 40x. Unless the patch picks back up the spotter purchase is on hold lol.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..