Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High end spotting scopes

High end spotting scopes

Looking for a top of the line spotting scope to go with the new Swaro binos. No need to use it for general glassing with the binos I have, just want a crystal clear 60x high end unit for sizing up game etc. Prefer fixed power, around 3#, 60mm objective to keep bulk/weight down. Anyone know of such unit on the market?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: High end spotting scopes

Swaro doubler with a phone scope on a tripod works fantastic.

Hmmmm, that doubler fit the EL binos?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I would get a Pentax PF 65 ED II and put a Pentax SMC XW 14 fixed lens on it. The XW lens is one of the best in the world and because the Pentax has the standard 1.25 astronomical mount you can use many different lenses with it.Small compact large field of view really love mine.The XW 14 is about 28 power magnification.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Speaking of high end spotting scopes has anyone been able to look through the new Nightforce spotting scopes ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Speaking of high end spotting scopes has anyone been able to look through the new Nightforce spotting scopes ?
    It's a rebranded meopta spotter, nothing special.

I've never seen a fixed 60 power eyepiece. I have owned both the Vortex Razor 16-48x65 and the 20-60x85. Top notch glass for the $, the 16-48x65 is half the price of a Swarovski ATS 20-60x60 and I've had them side by side - not that much difference to my eyes
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

28 power is a bit skinny for sheep country, nightforce is 5.25#. Razor 20-60x80mm just over 4#, 16-48x65 right at 3# might do the trick but only has an extra 8x on my leu. Never seen a fixed 60x myself either yet.

Why not a zoom? 20-60X covers the times that the mirage or other conditions (like winds bouncing the scope around) don't allow decent 60X viewing. You also gain more field of view and light to help locate things at the lower powers, then can zoom up to what atmospheric and weather conditions allow to count rings and gauge curl. That said I have a couple of fixed power spotting scopes that are very clear and work fine, one is 20X and the other is 27X, but both see very limited duty compared with the 20-60X scope.

My ATS 20-60X65 with case weighs in at 3 lb / 8¼ oz. Another 2 lb / 6 oz for the tripod.
    Don't know if a fixed power would be much lighter even if you could find one. And if you did, you would be wishing you had a variable.
    Now is not a good time to be buying optics. Prices are at least 25% higher than earlier given the CAN$ value against foreign currencies.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"