Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First traditional bow choice.

Re: First traditional bow choice.

Go lighter. Depending on strenght and bone structure you may be ok with 40 but 35 or even 30 is going to be way more fun for you. If you were closer I would let you try a few different weight bows. To start and figure out your form, go light. When you want to start hunting and get more serious, you will want to upgrade anyways. You will need properly spined arrows as well.

Hey buddyrip , based on your 60lbs now - 45-50 would provide a bit more speed with target impact (kinetic energy) which your mind appreaciates .
    Am 76 and just dropped to 45 lb ! At 57 you sound like your good to go at 45-50 . The key is to try these weights and choose the one you can hold form with , get er done !!!!
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

^^Mostly I would agree with uncle Ken on that^^

I would suggest a little lighter though with your long draw and based on draw weights being measured at 28", that and if you're used to the let off on a wheelie bow you don't want to be fighting that.
    The golden rule for me is that you need to be able to dominate your bow and its weight through your complete shot sequence. In other words, being comfortable 100% of the time.
    I like 45# bows mostly which gives about 50 on the fingers, but I think I would take 40 purely for 3D these days and a nicely tuned arrow

okay, so we have a 40lb samik journey, I can get the 45lb as I progress. How about arrows? what about victory vforce 400gr? what grain tips?

You are going to want 500 or even 600 spine arrows full length to start with... 400 spine will be too stiff for 40# I would think, unless you weighted the front more. Try some 125gr and 100gr tips to see wich fly better

Gpi is less important than spine…..unless you are talking .400 spine? in which case too stiff unless you are putting LOTS of point weight up front

If you are going for carbons then a good starting point on that weight with and your draw would be a .500 at least, probably a .600spine would be better, full length with 125gr up front, at least enough to get a decent flight.

Most arrow manufacturers and some large retailers like 3Rivers have spine calculators on their sites, they are usually pretty good.

hey you don't always have to agree with uncle Ken cause he was an army guy.......

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    hey you don't always have to agree with uncle Ken cause he was an army guy.......
    No, I agree with him 'cos it shuts him up! Well, sort of…..for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    how much do you want to spend...check out Windfeather Archery in Cranbrook..Monty is awesome to deal with and shoots what he sells..not like big box stores.....
    Monty is a great guy! Hardcore traditional hunter as well.
    KCCO

Thanks for the info. I will have to find a few bows to shoot to figure some things out. Would like to keep my first trad bow simple and inexpensive, and sooner than later. We have a way of allowing things to get carried away. I also have a vision of making a stick bow and arrows someday and have worked with wood all my career including building homes, cabinetmaking and boatbuilding. Maybe branch out into bowmaking too, ha ha. get it, branch. I like the idea of the samik journey.