Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mule Deer

My Mule Deer

Thursday September 10th

Work couldn’t end soon enough. I managed to finish early afternoon and head out to meet my buddy who had already set up camp the night before. There was only a few hours of light when I arrived so we decided to hike out a few km to a spot where we knew deer pass through. After glassing for a while and the sun starting to set, we decided to walk back. On the way back we jumped a mule deer out of it’s bed but it was too dark to get a good look to see if it was a buck or not.

Friday September 11th

We got up at 5:00am and made some coffee and oatmeal. Close to 5:45 we finally got organized and headed out into a cut block we had discussed the night before. About 10 minutes into it with the skies starting to lighten up, we spot a cow moose about 500 yards up the hillside. We get some good footage of it and carry on. 30 minutes later we come around a corner and see a muley doe with 2 fawns on the skyline about 100 yards ahead of us. Awesome! This is promising sign. So we continue on a little further and I glance to the left and I see antlers. Buck!! I whisper to my buddy and get down on a knee. I spot it about 100 yards to the left. My buddy freezes and puts up his binos. I peak my head up and see it’s only a 2 point. Sure gets the heart racing.

We continue hiking up and manage to spot another small 2 point and a few more does but nothing legal. We then get back to camp by noon.

We get some rest in the afternoon and decide to split up for the evening. My buddy decides to hang around down low and I want to go back up that cut block where we saw the deer earlier in the morning. I get up to where I wanted to by 6pm and sit and glass. I spot a doe making its way up towards the tree line. Great. This is a good sign. It wasn’t for another hour until I hear some movement coming out from the tree line and out come a big group of does and fawns. Here is what followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4LP0zmcF8

So after that buck goes down, I radio my buddy and tell him big 4 pt down. He’s says congrats and knows he’s going to have to hike up and give me hand after thinking how nice it would be to drive back to camp and have a relaxing evening. Haha. So I start caping out the deer and an hour and a half later he shows up. By 11pm we have everything loaded up – all the meat quartered up on the frame pack and the head and cape on the other….I was the lucky one with the frame pack.

We get back down to the truck by midnight and back to camp shortly after. After a bonfire and a few celebratory beers we are asleep by 1:30 and then get back up 4:30 to get ready to do some glassing at first light.

Saturday September 12th

The next day was more of the same. We had spotted lots of deer with a few bucks and put a lot of mileage on the boots. No 4 points so we decide to pack up camp and head home.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My Mule Deer

Nice job , Great video, And story. Must of been a great Adrenalin rush.

excellent buck he's a dandy congrats! thanks for sharing your hunt and your video. well done
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Awesome. I love the story. So much better and heart felt that a photo and one line.

Congrats

Nice.... Always nice to get one in the freezer so early.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Congrats Very nice!

Greta video. I like how you thank the buck in the video. Shows a lot of respect for the animal.

Great share
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Nicely done!

Sweet Buck can't wait for my Nov. Mule trip now.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon