Thread: preserving grouse feathers

preserving grouse feathers

Hi all,
    The other day after harvesting a couple grouse, I couldn't help but notice how dang beautiful those creatures are. Which got me thinking, it would be nice to preserve some feathers for fly tying and maybe a tail fan or two as a decoration for my man cave. Has anyone ever tried this? Any and all tips appreciated, thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: preserving grouse feathers

I have saved a couple of tails (fanned out) over the years, and saved a skin. There was an article in a Outdoor Life years ago (20+) that gave instructions on what to do.

I believe it was as simple (for the tail) as making sure to remove most of the tissue and fat from the base of the tail and then salting it very thoroughly, and pinning it down to a piece of corrugated cardboard so it dried in the fanned out, half-circle shape. For the skin with feathers I remember just carefully pinning it to a piece of cardboard with the feathers toward the cardboard so the skin is exposed, and again salting it so it would dry.

The feathers are small and more webby like hen feathers but would be good for legs on nymphs and for soft-hackle wet-fly patterns. Good of you to notice the natural beauty.

I preserve my turkey fans as above but use borax rather than salt.
    KCCO

I use ruffed tail feathers for the tail, back and legs of my hairs ear nymphs. My go to searching fly, deadly almost everywhere.

I did these grouse and pheasant tails about 15 yrs ago. They have held up quite well as I still have them. I used borax to dry them instead of salt.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

I have in the past and still do keep grouse feathers for fly tying. The rump feathers and breast feathers are a nice alternative for soft hackle wet flies (although slightly stiffer than the usual store bought partridge). I use them on all sorts of hare and copper and pheasant tail variation flies and they have proved to be real killers.

Awesome rbduck. I'm going to give this a shot! Those look really nice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Those are some nice looking feathers!