Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yes grouse

Re: yes grouse

Since you are pretty new to hunting I can offer you a few tips on finding the grouse;

These birds like to come out of their roosts mid morning once the day has begun to warm up a bit. Especially if it has been raining or the trees are dripping from melting snow. You often find them on old, but still passable, roads that have a fair bit of grass and small greenery growing down the centre and along the edges of the road. They flock to the roads for 3 reasons: collect a little gravel for their gizzards, eat a little clover or leafy material and collect some warmth from the sun or road. You do not see too many on the busy FSR's however sometimes they are there.

Mid day they seem to return to the trees and feed on needles and you won't see as many. Then , when the day still has a bit of warmth and the sun is a few hours from setting you will see them drop back to the roads for more gravel and warmth before roosting for the night.

Usually, if you see one, there will be more. Either in adjacent trees or on the ground on either side of the road. It`s usually pretty easy to tell if the covey has already been fired at as they will be a bit skittish and more flighty. When you see one of a group prop up his/her tail feathers and act nervous that is a good sign they are getting ready to fly. One bird usually leads the covey and if you can put that one down the rest will mill about with no guidance and become easy to shoot.

Summary: Early and late day, quiet roads with grass, pine/spruce trees and sandy/gravel patches. Sunny spots on a cool morning.

Good luck to you and your son.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

wow this great info thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Since you are pretty new to hunting I can offer you a few tips on finding the grouse;

These birds like to come out of their roosts mid morning once the day has begun to warm up a bit. Especially if it has been raining or the trees are dripping from melting snow. You often find them on old, but still passable, roads that have a fair bit of grass and small greenery growing down the centre and along the edges of the road. They flock to the roads for 3 reasons: collect a little gravel for their gizzards, eat a little clover or leafy material and collect some warmth from the sun or road. You do not see too many on the busy FSR's however sometimes they are there.

Mid day they seem to return to the trees and feed on needles and you won't see as many. Then , when the day still has a bit of warmth and the sun is a few hours from setting you will see them drop back to the roads for more gravel and warmth before roosting for the night.

Usually, if you see one, there will be more. Either in adjacent trees or on the ground on either side of the road. It`s usually pretty easy to tell if the covey has already been fired at as they will be a bit skittish and more flighty. When you see one of a group prop up his/her tail feathers and act nervous that is a good sign they are getting ready to fly. One bird usually leads the covey and if you can put that one down the rest will mill about with no guidance and become easy to shoot.

Summary: Early and late day, quiet roads with grass, pine/spruce trees and sandy/gravel patches. Sunny spots on a cool morning.

Good luck to you and your son.

You are most welcome. Somewhere between the bickering, insulting and general dis-content we all try to help one another. Too bad you weren't closer to the Okanagan. I would steer you into some good areas. It not easy trying to do things like this in one day when you have to travel so far. Last comment, don't get discouraged if you don't bring any grouse home. We all had to start somewhere and it takes time. I hunted hard for 3 years before I shot my first deer but that's not always the case. It will be great father/son time regardless. With a little luck someone from your area will pm you a decent place that is nearby. Hint, hint...
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Daybreak's info is gold CSLR. Follow it, don't be afraid to get out of the truck and walk some deactivated roads and you have a good chance and finding some birds.

Sometimes you can just about walk right up on them before they flush which can be a ton of fun. If you have a dog, they can be very useful as sometimes those grouse aren't just sitting on the road, they will be 2 or 3 meters into the bush. The dog will sniff em out and put them up in the air for you. I have a trained bird dog who loves hunting more than anything, but you'd be surprised how quickly a well trained dog (not necessarily trained hunting dog, just trained to stay close to you) can pickup what you are trying to do out there in the bush. Family fun time like no other. Enjoy and best of luck.