Thread: Target Buck Success and Failure Thread

Target Buck Success and Failure Thread

This year is the first year I have targeted a specific buck, I have been hunting him spot and stalk for the most part and have been able to get within striking distance at least nine times. I've had him at 20 yards and under about four times, I've only seen him broadside twice, once at 65 yards and once at 80+ yards. His domain is challenging to say the least, most of the grass and vegetation I find him in is 3-4 feet tall and he knows how to use it to his advantage. I've been bowhunting for about 4 years now and I've been quite successful but this has easily been the single most challenging conquest I've encountered in hunting. I guess I'm just looking to draw some encouragement from the success stories of those who have strategically pursued one deer and either overcome or have suffered defeat. If you have a target buck story please share as you will be encouraging a new generation of bowhunters who have also caught the bug to do it with a stick and string.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target Buck Success and Failure Thread

whether it be with a bow or a gun, targeting a specific buck is a great challenge.
    I've gone skunked a few seasons because i was holding out for "that guy".
    but you'll never get him if you settle for less.
    I'm lucky that we can now take 2 wt bucks in my region, so taking a smaller guy on the weekend will still let me pursue one of the others.

good luck on outsmarting him, it ain't easy.

Thanks Sofa,

I've been taking a day or two off between hunts just to keep my sanity.lol
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

i went skunked last year chasing "that" buck.
    and this year i have a certain mulie in mind and three or four different nice wt that I'm now going to hold out for.
    it's all worth it in the end when you finally get a guy in the dirt that you've shared many encounters with, playing cat and mouse.

Target buck takes a lot of patience. Keep on him. Hopefully you nail him. If you can, head out on a hunt for a different species or different area. Change it up a little. It sounds like you have him dialed in pretty good. Good luck. Mule deer?

Good advice, I was already thinking of taking the rifle out for a bear hunt this weekend. Island Blacktail.

Keep at it, with the bow, it will be all the more satisfying, good luck. Cheers Roscoe

Sounds like you have him figured out pretty good. As you said in your earlier post, you don't want to take a marginal shot. Be patient and that right opportunity will come. Maybe this upcoming rain will be the ticket. Enjoy the excitement and anticipation. Big Blacktail bucks don't come easy. Good luck getting any sleep.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Sealed the deal tonight story is up under my Vancouver Island thread, photos will be up when either someone gives me a hand or photo bucket stops being a douche.