Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: that may have been good to know before...

that may have been good to know before...

so a buddy and I go out to do some predator hunting down beside Westside road today, as he owns 10 acres of land, and we bring out a .22 and I bring my bow. we were calling for roughly an hour before dark and as dark fell we got up to make the short 1km trek back to the house when we hear A neighbours dog barking in the distance. thinking it might be Yotes making him angry I blow my jackrabbit in distress call, I call for maybe 15 minutes and by now it's completely dark, we have no lights and we can't see a darn thing so we start walking back again and 15 minutes later as we are about 100 feet away from the house my friend pipes up and says " oh! by the way my neighbour saw a large cougar in the area a few days ago!!" so now things are making sense as to why we didn't see any Yotes that day because they're probably steering clear for the time being because of the cougar, and I'm thinking man, were out here well after complete dark calling with a distressed rabbit call hoping for something to come in, and looking back I'm sure glad the wrong something didn't come in looking for a snack!! if anybody else has stories it would be awesome to hear them!
    PSE,
    29 1/2"
    splittin' arrows

2. Site Sponsor

Re: that may have been good to know before...

Your lucky the cougar didn't come for a visit in the dark when you were walking back.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Bears bin known to hone in on distress calls too depending where you're at....had g-bears sneak in to elk/moose calling as well on more than one occasion. Always good to be prepared for what else might come in......light or no light!!
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    Your lucky the cougar didn't come for a visit in the dark when you were walking back.
    Could very well have though. They are like ghosts.

Just ask this deer how sneaky they are.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/sla...tml?sort=3&o=0
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In the dark? Whoa your partner should have informed you. You could have called in a sow or a cougar or a big night owl clawing your eyes out.
    Don't try that again lol. Glad your safe, it could have been a nightmare.
    The cat can snatch yah from the back side and show yah how she does the hoop ride. Dr. Dre
    Jelvis ( Night Time ) is the wrong time - to call on a predator dying rab beet

ahaha I'm glad I made it out to jelvis
    PSE,
    29 1/2"
    splittin' arrows

I had a grizzly come in full speed to a predator call once, leapt out of bush at about 10 metres. luckily I had one in the pipe and a griz tag in pocket.
    Wherever you are in BC it's safe to assume there's predators around big enough to chew you pretty good.
    I am very careful predator calling these days.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Just ask this deer how sneaky they are.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/sla...tml?sort=3&o=0
    I would like to but is it still alive

So let me get this strait.....

you're hunting off westside, where there are always lots of Cougars, in the Okanagan, where there are at least three species of large cat cruising around, year round, blowing a PREDATOR call that sounds like their favourite snack.....

and you're suprised that you may have attracted a predatory feline?

what happened to common sense? Or is this just another HBC drama-llama post?