Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Prepare Grouse

Re: How To Prepare Grouse

My wife did some up the other night and she tried brining them before cooking. They were SOOOOO tender and juicy it was unbelievable. It will be our go-to method from now on. After brining the breasts you can cook them however you want. I will ask her later what her brine actually consisted of. Mostly just a salt water brine I think.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

My wife said she did 2 tablespoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar and just enough water to cover for about 4 hours before rinsing and cooking as desired. Man was it good. I never knew grouse could be so tender and juicy. This was for only 2 grouse breasts. increase as needed I suppose

Thank you Shooter. I will have to try that. I imagine you could add a few spices or touch of teriyaki etc to the brine.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

ya I guess so, I think she also had some garlic in there. But that gets rinsed off and then she breaded them, seasoned them and fried them up in strips. We cook them that way lots but that was the first time she brined them first and they were super tender. One of my favourite breading for grouse strips is crushed up soda crackers. delicious

Evening, gentlemen and ladies. First post.

I tend to do a lot of reading on cooking and I remember pretty clearly reading from a reliable source (Serious Eats, I believe...or maybe Stella Culinary or ATK, sorry, I don't recall specifically) that flavouring your brine does little to no good. Basically salt, sugar, and water (without taking the time to verify the strict figures, I think a good brine is something like 5-10% salt and 2'ish% sugar) are all that you need. Or, if you want to take it up a notch, you can dry brine (salt the heck out of the breasts, leave them uncovered in your fridge overnight, at a minimum....longer if you can). The dry brine gives the moisture retention properties of the brine without introducing excess water into the tissue. More meat, more flavour, less excess water.

I went on my first couple of hunts last fall with my dad and took three grouse (wasn't really what we were looking for, but it's what I ended up with). I made them the other day...did a wet brine over night and then rinsed them off and stored them in the fridge for the rest of the day. Cooked them 'sous vide' at 58 degrees Celsius. I love SV for poultry (and related meat...most meat generally, actually). Perfectly tender, not a hint of being over cooked. WAY over seasoned though because we had people over for dinner and I was in a hurry to get the breasts in the bath and forgot about having brined them the night before and so salted them as I normally would unbrined meat before bagging. Stupid move. Still good, but way too salty. But perfectly cooked and wonderfully tender. Might even try a lower temp next time.

Anyhow, short version, for perfectly cooked grouse breast, cook them sous vide, if you can.

This is a chicken recipe...substitute grouse or hare...really good.

Lettuce wraps
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

http://www.denzelshotsauce.com/sesamechicken.htm

awesome. I use less meat,more sesame seeds, and try really hard not yo overlook the breasts.

First... dont over cook them lol.....

standard camp recipies....

first
    1) loads of grouse
    2) loads of Onions
    3) loads of butter
    4) Salt and pepper and Garlic powder..
    5) Fry...... but dammit.... dont over cook them ok!

Second.
    this one is perfect for the "just in case i didnt get any grouse meal but i want to plan on it meal" Ie good with grouse or without and will not spoil
    1)at home buy a can of alfredo sauce and a pack of noodles....
    2) mushrooms and onions...
    3) fry grouse in mushrooms and onions...
    4) empty sauce directly into mushrooms and onions and Bird.
    5) boil noodles
    Put down the Lucky Son its dinner time!

Third,
    Same as #2
    2 cans mushroom soup...
    mushrooms and onions and bird.....

pour over rice...
    i have done this with a blend of Potabelos, chantrelles and Shaggies..mmmmmmmmmmmm oh... Garlic! you need that.....
    Stop the Crib game and pour a rum.. its dinner

we take a grouse breast , put it onto a nice fresh green willow stick and that is fairly thick and sharp end .
    wrap breast in bacon , salt and pepper and if you drinking a glass of wine , pour some over it , or your beer...lean it over the campfire so its hot but not in flame.. roast it until u see the juice starting to run...slice a piece off with your jack knife...if done , go to er.....enjoy the campfire way....

For grouse I use a meat hammer to flatten them. Almost see through. Seasoned flour and fry in butter.
    Try adding pickle spice to your brine. Also chilies if you like some bite. Without a doubt adds flavor. My go to for hams,jerky and many other meats.
    Soy sauce as a substitute for some of the salt adds great flavor also.