Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Prepare Grouse

How To Prepare Grouse

Hey Fellow Hunters This Years Been Dry and Mild and the Grouse seem to be everywhere i got my limit of ruffed in just one covey!! my experience in cooking grouse is very little and i'm looking for ways to "prep" The meat Before you even make it into a recipe! I know if not done right their tough and dry! Ive been Told To soak them in milk or lemon juice? any clarification or help would be greatly appreciated And if you got any wicked recipes throw them my way i love to hunt and i Love to cook what i harvest
    Thanks
    Uzi

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How To Prepare Grouse

Simply put them into look bags and bake them. no more dry grouse

Shake n bake grouse is delicious.

In the past I've quartered the breast meat then quick pan fry with some onions and a dash of curry paste.

I have one in the fridge right now, going to try wrapping it in bacon and putting it on the smoker.

You can't go wrong.

I hope you cut tags for each of them
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

They are great any way. Just don't expect anything fat and juicy. My toddler loves them breaded like chicken strips and I enjoy it in a slow cooker with mushroom soup and toss some egg noodles and veggies for the last couple hours.

Only cut 2 Ruffy and one Blue tag so far.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

subscribed. I haven't found something I really love yet.

I make KFG fingers. Dredge in flour with salt, and what ever herbs n spices you like, dip in egg wash, dredge again and deep fry. Choose your own dip like sweet and sour or plum sass or peanut sauue or what ever you like. Dont cook grouse too long or it turns to rubber.

We tried cooking grouse a few different ways and our favorite so far is in the slow cooker, because the meat gets nice and tender. If you don't like the "gamey" taste, you can experiment with soaking the cleaned meat in a mixture of milk and water overnight.

Do you like, or have you tried "Beef Stoganoff" over noodles ? Just substitute cut up grouse for the beef.
    Simple and easy, moist and tender grouse meat. Don't make the grouse chunks too large.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beef_stroganoff/
    Last edited by Riverratz; 09-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I toss them in the fridge or cooler if out in the field for at least one day more if you can, just like fish before prepping them for eating, they do get softer.
    When I say toss them in the fridge, they can be skinned and breasted, or whole guts in all.
    After that Bobs your uncle on what recipe you want try.

If I'm camping/hunting and just can't wait for some fresh meat, then it's a green fresh split 1" alder board over the fire with the de-skinned grouse on top, served with fresh salal berry chutney and fried gizzard.

An old man my grandfather use to know would hang his grouse outside whole, any weather, until the feathers would start to pull off with ease, he would pull the feathers off then remove the guts, then cut out the maggots and cook up the remaining portions, it was gross to see as a kid, and I was reluctant to try it after seeing that, but thats what he did.