Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Youth Hunt - Question

Re: First Youth Hunt - Question

What an awesome offer. True gentleman.

That's Awesome M.Dean! Very nice offer!

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    You will want to make sure the animal is well cooled. This can be done by quartering and hanging in game bags over a creek or in a shady area. At 20 plus degrees, flies and wasps can be an issue so the game bags will help. Take a large cooler with ice or cold lacks and transport that animal in that once you have it parted out and cooled. Make sure the meat doesn't sit in water in the cooler. A piece of plywood between the meat and ice can help with this.

Not sure where you are going but I drove to Hope and back yesterday and temps on the okanagan connector were as low at 3 degrees around 9pm.

Good luck to to you and your son!
    What he said is bang on....good luck!

When worse came to worst, I can remember taking a tarp and spreading it out in the back of the truck, putting the deer or moose quarters in there, then drive like hell to the closest place that sold ice, lots of ice! One or two bag's inside the animal, and pack some ice around it. Back then if it was too warm day and night, we cut the animal up as soon as possible to avoid bone sour, never had to throw any meat out, so we did something right. And yes, my offer still stands, if there's any Youth Hunters around my place in 3-27 and you get a deer, please feel free to drop by and I'll let you use my Walkin Cooler, for free. I am Marv Dean at 3084 Pinantan Pritchard Road, Pinantan Lake. Ph. # 250-573-4271. And Good Luck to all the Youth Hunters out there, and a hunting tip from a old hunter, Don't get "Buck Fever" until after the animals on the ground! My Grandson's taken quite a few Deer with me, and when I went to give him a hug after the WT was down last week, his hands were shaking like it was his first hunt! And, I find I still get the shakes after the shot on some animals too! I don't think it ever leaves you, and that's a good thing! Good Luck, and hope to see you!

Thanks for the advice everyone... our usual camp has a hang in the shade and it got pretty cold overnight. I had game bags, two coolers and 4 blocks of ice ready (although I've never quartered a deer before, I've never hunted this early and always hung them and brought them back whole). None the less, we didn't need them...

He had his chance at a nice 2 point on the last morning but didn't take the shot right away because there was a smaller 2 point right beside him. He chose to wait until they separated enough that there was no chance of a freak accident and hitting the other buck. At that point the only shot available was a freehand shot, he missed the first and just wasn't comfortable to take the second without a rest. We tracked them for a bit but they disappeared into the thick stuff... He was pretty happy to experience just that though, it was almost like he got the buck! lol... He's 10 and has a lot of time to get his first!

Great offer there by Mr. Dean!
    Too bad you guy's didn't connect Z, my son connected the night of third just after we set up camp, we were in the Cache Creek area and it froze overnight, we decided to stick around another night and on Friday night it went down to -6, it was plenty cold to tack it up..

Maybe you guys will get another chance later in the season...