Thread: 8-25 grouse

8-25 grouse

Its almost my first hunting season, and im going to start with mostly bird hunting. I was thinking mostly the 8-25 region, but unsure where to even start. I was wondering if anyone can even point me in the right direction near the vernon area to even start scouting. Ive got a small idea, and was going to maybe scout the proctor lake area. Any feedback would be amazing. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-25 grouse

Never hunted that wmu before but this year has been great for grouse in the okanagan. Pretty much any side road with 2nd growth or thicker bushes will have grouse. Drive or walk down these sorts of roads and you should have some success. The grouse will be filling their crop with gravel. The ones on the side of the road sometimes will be difficult to spot. Good luck!

Looks like a good grouse crop out there! They are everywhere - but im out there a lot. There are lots out on the Kettle FSR and the side roads. Home road/Harris creek and Mosquito roads always produce well. Drive or walk down the older logging roads. When you get to the end of any road, do a little walk thru the regen trees around the old landings. They will hide in that thick stuff close to areas where they can get to gravel and feed. They tend to run through the thick stuff and not fly for obvious reasons - so pound em right thru it with the scatter gun Oh don't shoot the stem of the pine tree right in front of you, the pellets can bounce all over the place! - careful! I usually just rock em...
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Be sure to buy tags

They're quite often found near creeks this time of year. Use google earth to help you find some older fsrs near a creek and/or replanted clear cut and you'll find grouse. good luck!

Go up King Edward Lake Road and try the spur roads. Lots of grouse this year.