Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski slc or el's opinion on them

Re: Swarovski slc or el's opinion on them

I have had a pair of 10x42 SLC's that I loved. Went to the Geovids for ranging capability and enjoyed the glass but certainly missed the optical quality of the SLC.

Recently I bought a pair of 10x42 EL Range....and man oh man they seem really nice. I'll be putting them to use this year for the first time. I got a smoking good deal on them used and sold the Geovids. Smart choice from what I can tell so far.

I guess buy once cry once lol i missed out on a good deal on a older pair of slc's dammmmm lol

Quote Originally Posted by noth615 View Post
    No objective gathers light (its's not a funnel ) binoculars transmit light and the size of the objective lens has nothing to do with how much light is transmitted, the number of lenses and the coating determine how much light makes it through the pupil

sorry sofa king do your research !
    Objective size is directly related to how much light an optic gathers or for a better term lets say allow into them. Larger objective binos have a higher twilight factor than ones with smaller objectives of the same glass quality. Light transmission is a % of how much light the objectives gather that gets thru to your eyes. Large massive objectives on telescopes allow the user to see way more stars etc than smaller ones. My el swarovisions 8.5x42 have more lenses in them than a 8x42 slc hd so they are not as high of a transmission % as the slc but have a way sharper image to the edge . More lenses for the light to pass thru means more light scrubbed off.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 09-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Had the new el 10x42 out last night spotting hits at 850 yds last shooting light. Well after legal light on way home could easily count points on wt out in the fields. They are excellent during regular hunting hours, dawn/dusk they are spectacular.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    Objective size is directly related to how much light an optic gathers or for a better term lets say allow into them. Larger objective binos have a higher twilight factor than ones with smaller objectives of the same glass quality. Light transmission is a % of how much light the objectives gather that gets thru to your eyes. Large massive objectives on telescopes allow the user to see way more stars etc than smaller ones. My el swarovisions 8.5x42 have more lenses in them than a 8x42 slc hd so they are not as high of a transmission % as the slc but have a way sharper image to the edge . More lenses for the light to pass thru means more light scrubbed off.
    No Binoculars gather light (objectives are not funnels)

The difference between 32 and 42 mm objective lens size, doesn't necessarily signify more light transmission, its just a gimmick to upsell you on more glass!

Light transmitting through a lens refracts (bends) and wants to split into a color spectrum, while simultaneously other parts of the light gets reflected. Correcting the problems associated with the refraction of light, while minimizing the reflection of lost light for binoculars,Is a conundrum, fixing refraction usually requires additional lens and additional lens means decreased light transmission.There is enough of a direct connection between light transmission and the number of lens, but there is one more key component; Lens Coating can also solve the same problem as minimizing lens for added light transmission.
    Last edited by noth615; 09-02-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

Whatever they do, the EL's gather light well past shooting light.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I've got the 10x42 EL Range and love them. A bit heavy for binos but I don't carry a rangefinder now so it makes up the weight difference real fast.

Light-Gathering Power

The ability of a telescope to collect a lot more light than the human eye, its light-gathering power, is probably its most important feature. The telescope acts as a ``light bucket'', collecting all of the photons that come down on it from a far away object. Just as a bigger bucket catches more rain water, a bigger objective collects more light in a given time interval. This makes faint images brighter. This is why the pupils of your eyes enlarge at night so that more light reaches the retinas.

This is from an astronomy website on light gathering abilities of a telescope

I have a set of 8X32 slc's and a pair of 10x 32 el's. They both are great but I believe the el's are worth the extra cash. A buddy of mine bought the 10 x 42 el's and complains they are too big and bulky for hiking with but great for looking through. he wishes he got the 10 x 32 el's.
    I bought a friend of mine 8.5 x 42el's and they are a great bino some of the nicest I have looked through. He uses them on his boat and for moose hunting so size and weight are not a consideration. Too bad about the cad dollar euro optic was a great place for deals back when the loonie was close to par.

I prefer 32mm in an 8x bino.... but in a 10x, I would get 42mm... and I would look thru the Conquest HD 8x32 before spending the coin for the Swaros