Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Safety while hunting rabbits out on a FSR

Re: Safety while hunting rabbits out on a FSR

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    I can not find in the regs where you can not use a snare. It isn't under hunting methods.
    Under "Trapping Regulations / Definitions"

killing snare - means a snare that is designed to capture the animal for which it is set by the neck.

Under "Trapping Regulations / General Regulations and Information"

Checking traps
    A holder of a licence, permit or other authorization to trap commits an offence unless that person examines the holding or non-killing traps he or she has set on a trapline at least once every 72 hours, the egg trap(s) he or she has set for raccoons at least once every 24 hours, and killing traps or killing snares that he or she has set on the trapline at least once every 14 days.

Under "Trapping Methods / It's Unlawful"

You should know it's unlawful to:
    . Use a killing snare on land, unless the snare is equipped with a locking device, or is designed to catch squirrels or hares, or is a mechanically-powered killing snare.

Since all of this is in the "Trapping Regulations" section, wouldn't this require a trapping permit? If not, then have at it.
    Sapienter si sincere

Quote Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
    Brag about the antlers not the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by FourOhs View Post
    Reading Allan's Almost got shot today thread got me pondering my recent outings.

I've been going up an FSR not too far from my place, after rabbits. I've been doing a combination of hiking and driving, mostly driving. This is my first year hunting, so I'm absorbing all the constructive feedback/advice I can get.

I've generally been looking for rabbits on the shoulder of the FSR. When I come across one I look at the whole sight picture. Not just, "Can I clearly see the rabbit?" and not just "Is there a person/car behind my shot?" but also, "What's behind my shot that I can't see? Do I have a shot that doesn't travel down the road or over a rise in the road or off the mountainside into thin air?"

I've passed up several shots so far simply because there isn't a safe way to make the shot. When I shoot my target is still on the shoulder, but if I can't manoeuver myself so that I'm shooting into the ground or a bank or hillside behind my shot, it's a no-go. Sometimes I can climb the opposite bank to get a shot aiming down from 8-10' above. Basically, I have to imagine taking each particular shot as if no rabbit was there. Would it be safe to pull the trigger right here, right now in that direction?

Anyway, my point is, I think I'm doing enough to be safe and to keep other users of the FSR I'm on safe too. But, I'm also open to constructive criticism of/improvements to my approach to safe hunting.
    Or, you can keep it simple and get a 20 gauge shotgun with field loads, #6 pellet size, and they won't travel much further than the rabbit or grouse.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I've always understood you could snare rabbits with a HL, although I'v e never done it. Obviously we need a thread
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!