Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall tent advice

Re: Wall tent advice

Quote Originally Posted by sheep hunter View Post
    Does any one have the contact for the wood stove out of Castlegar ? I'm looking for a new stove for my wall tent
    Here you go. These stoves are awesome! Hot water whenever you want it and adds a little humidity to air while you sleep.

http://www.canvastentshop.ca/stoves_fourdogs.html
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Here you go. These stoves are awesome! Hot water whenever you want it and adds a little humidity to air while you sleep.

http://www.canvastentshop.ca/stoves_fourdogs.html
    Thanks For the information

they look like good stoves but if those a galvanized stove pipe i would never use inside the tent
    Elite Energy 32

Wall tent .....
    At least 5ft. walls.
    50% larger than you think you'll need ..... stove, firewood inside for wet weather.
    External ridgepole works well in cold/snow as it holds the tarp off the tent.
    Internal ridgepole works well if you aren't going to tarp your tent. A clothes hanger is easier to rig from the internal ridgepole. Six of one, 1/2 dozen of other.
    No floor ..... sod flaps seem to work better, and makes your tent easier to dry out after use. Treat the sod flaps and the lower 18" of wall with Thompsons Water Seal or equivalent ....
    Tarp large for a veranda/porch at the entrance.
    We slide the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood out of the truck bed, and with two sawhorses have a very usable table for under the veranda.
    Stove pipe through the roof, not the wall. Cut your tarp to fit.
    If you are using external wall poles with rope and tent pegs .... cut long bands of inner tube and tie these as a 'stretchie' ..... the wind will blow, and you'll never pull a tent peg. The tent just returns to normal.
    A good wall tent is a very comfortable home at -25 .....
    Cots with thick open cell foam, and covered perimeter ...... heavy weight sleeping bag!

Now you're ready for those late season Mule deer ........ Peace River.

Thanks for all the advice. I am sold on the arctic oven.
    anybody on here own one?

I'll be a bit of a contrarian. No need to spend all that money. I bought a huge costco portable garage ($400 for 24x12, I think) and a military surplus diesel heater ($200) from the US. Love it.

We had 8 cots and there was still enough room for camp chairs around the diesel heater. We used landscape cloth as a floor.

Our first set up was a couple hours, but our next will be about an hour. It was a bit noisy in high winds, but we'll fix that next time with some velcro tie downs.

With 8 people on a +2 degree night there was a bit of condensation in the morning on the walls. I'm not sure how it would be in bitter cold, but I'm looking forward to trying it this winter.

Since it is flame resistant plastic, I don't see much harm in putting it away wet. I found the steel poles a bit heavy but the tarp itself is quite light. I will be replacing the steel poles with some aluminum ones.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

We have a 12x14 with a 5' porch. I use the tent when we pull our boat as I can't take everything. Room for 4 people, gear, wood and storage boxes. I like the stove pipe out the side wall, but that's my preference. Tent material won't condensate like tarp material does when the temp drops. You can run a longer tarp out over the front of the tent if you want a larger outdoor area. Wood heat has been my favorite since I was a kid on the farm. Nothing beats it's drying power and just the smell of burning wood. Clip cheap LED tent lights up inside and it will be a super bright home away from home.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.