Thread: Active Bowyers?

Active Bowyers?

Could anyone put me onto any active bowyers in Canada but preferably in BC?

Professional, semi professional or commercial but active?

Looking at getting hold of some materials for some winter projects as well as some advice

Thanks muchly in advance

Marc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Active Bowyers?

Gord Price of Paleface archery in Prince George
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Fiberglass or self bow?
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Quote Originally Posted by tailgate77 View Post
    Fiberglass or self bow?
    I have done a self-bow but would probably do another…….possibly before I start laminating.

I am thinking of laminates and possibly forms but woods and synthetics like glass/carbon. As a competitive shooter, the holy grail would be one made by me that I shoot in tournaments.

My plans are, and any experienced bowyers are welcome to give me your feedback about this…...

first something simple like a Hill style longbow, then a reflex/deflex longbow (my choice of bow) and then play about with recurves.

There is Richard at Bucky's Sports in Duncan. He's a nice guy. Been in there a bunch of times just shooting the breeze. I am teaching myself to make bows and he always welcomes questions. He makes fiberglass bows whereas I am mostly making self, backed, and sinew backed bows... I just dislike working with fiberglass and don't like the working process of laminated bows as much as working a bow down until it bends right and using heat to work the shape of it. If you want a solid primer on bow design and performance then I would pick up the Traditional Bowyers Bible series (particularly volumes 1 and 4 for bow design/performance). Mine are well worn from reading and rereading them. They don't cover fiberglass/carbon specifically, but the fundamental design principals are the same.

I don't know anyone building fiberglass or laminates, but there are lots of us doing selfbows. Primitive Archer forum is a great place to ask questions for that, and tradgang has a bowyers forum that is really good too, and covers wood and composite bows. The Bibles are awesome too
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Jamie at Ravenbeak natureworks in Powell river makes yew selfbows and runs weekend workshops. My son and I both made amazing bows.

Quote Originally Posted by clell View Post
    Jamie at Ravenbeak natureworks in Powell river makes yew selfbows and runs weekend workshops. My son and I both made amazing bows.
    Been there, done that!

I would recommend it in a heartbeat too.