Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-12 to 8-15 whitetail/elk help!!!

8-12 to 8-15 whitetail/elk help!!!

Hey everyone, I'm planning a trip to one of these areas over thanksgiving weekend. I'm thinking of hunting around kettle river, Granby river, or Christina lake but I still have research to do. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with good camping spots in any of these areas, and is there lots of posted land or not?

Thanks all,

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-12 to 8-15 whitetail/elk help!!!

Explored the north end of the Kettle last year and will probably go back out this year, along the river itself are some really nice small camp grounds......your issue may your timing. Thanksgiving weekend is a very popular weekend in the bush, and camping spots may be hard to come by.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Hmm okay thanks 416, is it a highly populated hunting area?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHunter View Post
    Hmm okay thanks 416, is it a highly populated hunting area?
    That weekend it is busy everywhere.....what are you thinking of hunting for..?

if you are looking for a WT doe...lots...Bucks and Bulls are very different. early for the Bucks and getting late for the bulls....

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    That weekend it is busy everywhere.....what are you thinking of hunting for..?
    Mainly WT, I will have all of my tags though so whatever is legal and we run into we will have a shot at. A nice buck or bull would be ideal but I think that's on everyone's hit list..

If you are just looking for what walks in front of your gun. I would hunt the Granby, stay at 28 mile bridge where it turns from road to gravel and hunt the Burrell FSR and the Granby FSR...Lots of WT and you could see an Elk or Mulie...Hunt some of the old spurs and around Burns Lake for ELK...Its a nice place to stay and plenty of game...but at that time of the year...you will have company...

Hmm ok awesome thanks for the help Palmer I appreciate it! When you say "stay at 28 mile bridge" do you mean camp there? If not are there spots along the Granby?

You can cross the river and there is a small area to camp there, but a lot better sites all along the river both before and after the bridge. And that bridge is at "28 km's". There are some cabins you can rent at the 20 km mark if that's your thing, but you better phone the owner to reserve if that's your thoughts. I think 20-25$ per head per night, cabins sleep 4. You will NOT be alone, that is the probably the busiest weekend of the hunting season, and in the CV that's purdy darn busy! I do not personally know or have seen a busier place while hunting, but lots of deer. PM me should you want more info.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

My bad, I don't think good in miles, but there is a bridge up at the Granby FSR which maybe "28 miles"(not totally sure about the camping). Coincidently another bridge at 28 km......Good campsites at 38 and around 40 ish, but the latter is a little tight for trailers. Campers are good in there, trailers at both 36 and 38.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....