Thread: Help choosing first bow?

Help choosing first bow?

Looking to get my first bow this fall and would like some help choosing which one, or if there are any archery shops that have demo bows/shooting lanes so I could shoot some before choosing. I'd like to spend $1000 maximum on everything from the bow itself, accessories, arrows etc. thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help choosing first bow?

Take a trip down to any archery shop in your area. Guaranteed most will have a shooting lane for you to demo. Pick your price range for your bow and test what they have to offer. Everything else is whatever you are comfortable spending. Arrows, I decided to go mid-range (Gold Tip Velocity XT $59.99/6) because if I miss or break an arrow (which I've done plenty of times) it doesn't break the bank as much.
    From my experience I would recommend buying a mid to high end sight and rest as I found I replaced those quickly to keep up with my progression. The stabilizer and quiver I found didn't matter as much.

In the end it all depends what fits best within your given price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Take a trip down to any archery shop in your area. Guaranteed most will have a shooting lane for you to demo. Pick your price range for your bow and test what they have to offer. Everything else is whatever you are comfortable spending. Arrows, I decided to go mid-range (Gold Tip Velocity XT $59.99/6) because if I miss or break an arrow (which I've done plenty of times) it doesn't break the bank as much.
    From my experience I would recommend buying a mid to high end sight and rest as I found I replaced those quickly to keep up with my progression. The stabilizer and quiver I found didn't matter as much.

In the end it all depends what fits best within your given price range.
    This x 2, if your a rookie, buying from a good archery shop that is local that will help you with all your questions and setup is worth a lot more then the savings you might get from an online store with cheaper prices. Shoot as many bows as you can before buying.

+1 on buying local. Your local shop can be an invaluable source of info, coaching, assistance throughout your archery career. I think there is nothing more embarrassing and with less class than purchasing a bow/weapon from online or other big discount place then having to approach your local for help. I know my local is really good about it cause I've seen them help people who have admitted buying from "those guys" and the setup was wrong.. Imagine buying a bow from a "big guy store" and ending up with a maximum draw length on your bow 3" too short? then being told that all you need is a bigger "D" loop.......my $.02

Only you can choose your bow.
    Dont buy a bow, or anything for that matter, because someone else says they like it.
    Go try a few and pick the one you FEEL right with.
    Dont listen to all the crap about how its 6000fps, etc.
    Go with what feels best in your hands.