Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: -- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

Re: -- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

hey, all I asked is to share some of your game pics with us.
    you are giving us mule deer hunting tips, why not share some of your success?

funny you now suggest I started this.
    go back and read your post, #35.
    you jumped to the name-calling which then got everyone sidetracked.

I just thought it would be nice to see some mulie pics with the thread.

I said PM me or buzz off guy, your pulling my chains, now buzz off and follow someone else.
    Your spoiling the thread with your childish manner now this is it.
    Jel -- please

I don't have a bunch of trail cams out, but my observations and trail cam info passed on by friends suggests that pre-rut, you are unlikely to find large, mature bucks consistently using the same trails as does and young bucks. Occasionally, but not consistently. It seems situational too. Where extensive migration behaviours are exhibited, similar routes seem to get used by all deer, but not necessarily at the same times. Often, large bucks will come down either for the rut or when snow pushes them down, while does and young bucks will often migrate out of distinct summer range in the absence of snow.

Going to food sources such as agricultural fields, you're more likely to find the majority of deer approaching via the same entrances. On travel corridors in more "bush" settings, they seem to travel in different places at different times. During the rut, however, they will basically follow does, and this may be as good a time as you'll find to target major trails.

I think it's important to note that although some general principles might be broadly applicable, every situation has its own set of circumstances that create what you'll find on the ground in a certain location. There is no substitute for scouting and learning an area. We're lucky enough to have the internet and Google Earth to help us, and they are hugely valuable, but boots on the ground is what results in most trophies being taken.

Looking for jerky whoa nah hice, awesome post mule deer hunter.
    I hear some sound advice and experience shining through. The mule deer are the best to hunt in my opinion. Something about those big healthy deer. The four point so proud and big.
    I see where your saying the bigger buck don't use the doe and fawn trails much and that is good to think about where the big boy is watching from?
    Migration is important trails usually follow mineral licks along ravines and gulley drainages.
    I dig that.
    I agree with hunting an area you like and seen mules before, go there and scout and walk around in off season and on season and you will find the main vein muley trails.
    Ridges where they come down and join another one, the buck walks back into the bush in the early morning so he will be walking just after daybreak for about twenty minutes in the light. he won't sky line on top of the ridge but will walk along the side of one below the sky lined ridge top, so this is a spot to check for a buck sneak and look spot on his trail.
    The big antlered mule buck could be standing there in the shadows watching you, dead still, imagine a fully stuffed muley buck with a 36 inch spread looking at you broadside. So still for minutes on end without batting an eye. Now put bushes and rocks and windfall around it, you can see a buck has natural instincts to cover themselves in the habitat.
    The trail that brought you just below him, as he is watching you now from above, was the one that for other deer use, the doe and yearlings. He hides in the trees within the shadows about maybe 60 feet into the depth of trees and bushes.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-07-2015 at 12:57 PM.

I was lucky enough to get a muley doe LEH draw for 8-25 October 20-31. I hunted low around 8-25 and 8-23 last season and saw many WT and downed a nice WT doe but I don't know where to start for MD. Is there anywhere close to Lumby or should I be planning on heading up more towards Silverstar or Mabel Lake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug

I see nuthen but s loads of muley trails in woods on the edges of cuts. Pick a cut any cut.

-- Learn to find muley trails folks.
    Jel Vain knee Us

let's here your way of defining muley trails hunting deer coming soon.
    -- we all can learn from each other.
    Jel -- this thread will help you track --

Here's a thread about mule deer trails. Might as well read thru again and see all the posts by awesome mule deer hunters from all over Rover.
    I'm reading it thru and getting ready for walkin the trails, and stalkin the mule.
    Some dandy mule trails in Region 3, world class hunting at peak level.
    Jel Train -- with Roddy dahhhh Bawdy -- mule deer are everywhere -- in and around Kammy Land.