Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

-- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

-- Please do feel free to join in on this terrific subject. I personally have hunted around Kamloops B.C. for mule deer for decades and I still fall into total WOW mode when discovering a well used, worn trail of the mule deer. Trails implanted in the ground and even on brittle shale by years of mule deer use, you have to be in awesome wonder. Muley trails are hunting trails - you can use yourself and spot from or watch n ambush at a certain vantage points that you have pre-scouted and planned to use in the hunting season.
    -- A trail leads you some where it shows the direction of travel, take advantage of that fact
    There are several types of trails muley's make by using that same route for centuries, up and down n across
    Here's an example of types of trails the Rocky Mtn Mule Deer make for diverse reasons;
    -- escape trail, migration trail, crossover trail, feed trail, watering trail, distance covering trail, trail to breeding grounds and fighting areas.
    -- trails are the visible evidence that deer have walked here for many years.
    -- while you look and find trails for later hunting season you could find cast off antlers oh yahhh man
    -- trails that are very well used will be defined by a definite visible ten inch wide pathway
    -- knowing how to connect the trails when they fade out is one key to successful hunting.
    -- trails for mule deer can be used to connect the hunter to world class hunting adventure fulfilment
    -- following a trail system over two or three mountains is possible while pre-scouting but needs time and effort and clearing and marking.
    -- Some facts here from thee experienced and the successful knowledge of years of studying mules.
    Let's talk mule deer trails to get the advantage and the know how .. if you want to see mules
    Anyone that get's a lil excited when talking mule deer hunting can ask any question about mule deer trails and tracking, and I and other experienced mule deer hunters can help you learn the tips and tricks to better your chance at a nice four point mule deer buck.
    -- I will inform you as we go, about how to help the deer and yourself by clearing some trail -- hello
    Trail to the treasure -- bring the wide tape to measure - Holy Cow Man! It's Your MONSTER MULE!!
    Jelly ( No More ) Mister Nice guy -- you want big buck you gotta work at finding some trail.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-19-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: If you love hunting muleys -- set the ruleys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: -- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

hey jel whats your take on hunting mulies from tree stands or groundblinds. do you utilize the still hunting method for mulies or do you cover ground spot an stalk style hunting. im thinking about utilizing a groundblind this fall but worried about spending too much time in the same location

Hey ditch go with the tree stands -- the deer seldom look up but they stop and look at a ground blind like, Hah what the H is that thing. They don't look up much so go higher. Sometimes you can use a ground blind in a open area or a treed area, what ever you have the time for.
    -- I still hunt mostly for the mules, walking slowly and quiet as possible.
    -- I like the trails because they use them over and over
    -- I cover about 400 feet up from truck and hunt for hours
    -- If it's a tree stand on a well defined mule trail it could payoff.
    -- same location is good if productive, then use this spot again, write down the weather and the time
    -- look for a feeding trail to a field and intercept them on a tree stand or ground blind.
    -- go up above the field and find a good observation point of the trail and proper wind direction
    -- in the morning they come up and evening go down
    -- find out if they use the same route going down and up
    Ok a few tips for ditch -- good luck ditch on getting a whack at a muley this season
    Jelly ( The Mule Skinner Blues ) Boy
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-05-2015 at 11:33 PM.

thanks for the advice,
    I hope to get my first mulie in Kamloops this year. I got my moose up north in oct last year, then decided I was going to spend the rest of season trying for a blacktail..
    I don't know why I was so hell bent on that idea, I didn't see a deer the whole season, till the last day I was hiking in the dark to my spot and spooked the buck I was looking for, he went crashing away, and well.. here I am. I plan on doing zero hunting in region 2, as region 3 is not a far drive from me and has way better terrain and way better deer population.
    thanks for the tip,i have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    thanks for the advice,
    I hope to get my first mulie in Kamloops this year. I got my moose up north in oct last year, then decided I was going to spend the rest of season trying for a blacktail..
    I don't know why I was so hell bent on that idea, I didn't see a deer the whole season, till the last day I was hiking in the dark to my spot and spooked the buck I was looking for, he went crashing away, and well.. here I am. I plan on doing zero hunting in region 2, as region 3 is not a far drive from me and has way better terrain and way better deer population.
    thanks for the tip,i have always enjoyed reading your posts.
    Don't give up on the blacktail, don't do it!

thx jelvis

Blacktailed deer are thee hardest and most challenging deer to hunt if you want a dandy buck.
    Blacktails make trails too don't forget.
    Rackstar has some very good information in his post about the difference in the terrain and habitat of the closely related black tail and mule deer.
    Mule deer in Kamloops are big and in top shape. The Rocky Mtn Proto-type which is the largest.
    --> Kamloops area hunting is a pleasure to do. Semi-open forest bordering fertile grasslands.
    --> Chilliwack Valley is Blacktailed country -- with vine maple, devils club and lots of rain, but still provides the hunter his or her challenge to see a nice blacktail buck and you can if your good
    Try Depot Creek for Blacktail trails on the open side hills, excellent area for strong herd.
    I will admit your right on Rackstar, take the drive up to Kammy area and pick a mountain side.
    two hour drive from Hope. This will increase your hunting success with seeing this gorgeous country all around the Loops. Mule deer thrive around this City in all directions folks.
    There are so many deer trails in the hills here you'd think the deer are every where. Beauty topography to hike and walk and stalk. Still hunting supreme, not sitting but walking slowly and peeking at everything as you gaze into the depth of natural cover.
    ---> Come up here for a weekender and walk the hill around just out of Kamloops City limits.
    ---> Enjoy the awesome beauty of the western scenery and play and have fun times, heck bring a friend along
    Talk at yah later big skater
    Jel (the Mule Deer Hunter) Trail Blazer

Mule deer highways and the biways folks, mule deer trails ----
    Tracking on trails for the big track or any size muley if you have a valid antlerless mule deer leh tag for this area of Kamloops Region 3 and one of it's surrounding management units.
    Tracking will be on different types of terrain and forms of forest floor surface state, ie after a good rain or on dry soil or with mud or snow.
    The beginning of the mule deer season in Kammy is late summer early fall and the conditions are noisy some hunts and not bad after a good downpour. Trails will be seen but the animals are feeding and roaming around in the warmer weather. Not being shot at much yet they will be lower down in elevation.
    Jel -- more later.

So, How do you tell the difference of trails and which are Cattle trails, and which are deer?
    ( Other than the obvious, which print was last left in the trail and by which beast, cow or mule)
    Have any Pics! for the Newbs to see??

the way I look at it, by the time I drive up and into the woods in region 2 il be 3/4 of the way to Kamloops up the coq making it very doable for day trips.
    not giving up on blacktails, but priority for me this year will be a couple deer even a bear either region 3 8 4, then If lucky spend some time in nov dec for a blacktail, something I love about the rugged rain forest creeping around in the pouring rain just keeps me coming back, I love every part of bc it is all so different and so beautiful, so blessed to live in bc.... I will have to check out Chilliwack valley this year. thanks for your tips jel! ive been reading your posts for quite some time, good reading. good luck to you this year.
    hows the early season 4 point up in kammy? any advice if a guy had 4 days starting sept 10? any areas that hold a chance at a little wt buck while looking for a mulie?