Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rabbit In August?

Re: Hunting Rabbit In August?

I have spent lots of time hunting Hares in Region 8, best time is August-september 20ish. I always walked or drove on older FSR roads above 4500ft and always in the last hour of light in the evening. Always was successful with and scoped 22 and a 20ga shotgun. Tons of fun and great eating especially in the slow cooker.
    Good luck.
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC

Lots of rabbits in the Princeton area. Try driving up the Coq from Hope and taking the back way from the Britton Creek rest stop into Tulameen. As said best at first morning light or just before dark. You'll see them freeze on the side of the FSR roads, easy to see them silouhetted.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGame View Post
    I really wanna go hunting this weekend and the only animal I am interested in hunting that is open is snowshoe hare. I have heard it's not good to hunt them until first frost because of the bugs and rabbit fever?

Not sure if there is any truth behind any of this. It would be nice to go for a region 8 rabbit hunt though.

any info is appreciated thanks
    There is truth behind increased potential of contracting tularemia in the summer months.
    Tularemia is fairly rare in BC, but it does occur here. Learn how to inspect a rabbit for signs of this disease.

There is a rabbit hunters' creed to only Hunt them in months with an "R", September through March.
    The reasoning is twofold.
    First is the disease concern. Rabbits are more likely to be diseased in the warmer months.
    Second is that April through August baby rabbits are dependant on Momma.

Beside the disease issue, you should consider if you are willing to orphan dependant young if you happen to kill a lactating dam.
    IMO, the Ethical hunter's rabbit season starts in September.

^^^good to know, but I'm surprised that they start the season in August considering the baby rabbit dependant on momma factor..

just shoot the babys too.

Following!

Just pm Jazzy, she is the rabbit queen on HBC
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    You might want to phone up your favourite butcher and make sure he has the room to hang it.
    Lots of hares to be had around Sunday summit. Hit up Pasayten, copper creek, east gate areas.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Awesome info. I’m a Princeton local and think I might have to get out for a look.

April through August baby rabbits are dependant on Momma
    Not sure I agree with that....of the 20 or so, I've taken in the past 2 weekends, i've not seen a single lactating female.

IMO, the Ethical hunter's rabbit season starts in September.
    Well, I choose to believe that our biologists have it open here in region 5 in august because they feel it is appropriate to do so.....

ANYHOW, i'll share a wonderful way to get your rabbits to the table!

Obviously, like anything, the sooner you get em cleaned and cooled off the better. Once back home, I give another going over to clean em up real nice, the into the fridge they go to "age" for a couple days. After a couple days, they are either portioned up and vac sealed for the freezer, or I hand them off to my wife for dinner. She has one of those "sous vide" cooker machines that does wonders for rabbits. a few herbs in the vacuum pouches and into the sous vide for a few hours....finish em on the BBQ with your favourite sauce!!! YUM!

I know lots of folks like the slow cooker, but i'm not a big fan of "soft meat", like pulled pork style. This sous vide method makes them nice and tender without breaking them down to mush like the slow cooker...I'm a big fan!

Good luck out there!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson