Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rabbit In August?

Hunting Rabbit In August?

I really wanna go hunting this weekend and the only animal I am interested in hunting that is open is snowshoe hare. I have heard it's not good to hunt them until first frost because of the bugs and rabbit fever?

Not sure if there is any truth behind any of this. It would be nice to go for a region 8 rabbit hunt though.

any info is appreciated thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Rabbit In August?

I'm up in 8-8 right now and tonight I'm planning on going for a stroll with the 22 after dinner to see if any bunnies are about. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Headed to region 8 for a rabbit hunt with friends this weekend. Last year was my first year rabbit hunting and it was a lot of fun and very tasty

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGame View Post
    I really wanna go hunting this weekend and the only animal I am interested in hunting that is open is snowshoe hare. I have heard it's not good to hunt them until first frost because of the bugs and rabbit fever?

Not sure if there is any truth behind any of this. It would be nice to go for a region 8 rabbit hunt though.

any info is appreciated thanks
    Whoever told you that is full of crap...I've been out once specifically for rabbit thus far since Aug 1st, nailed 3, all tasted great..and the bugs are not bad, they taper off after July I usually find...cruise slowly by vehicle, or walk on the logging roads between 7 - 8:15 PM I find is the best time, though you will see em in the morning sometimes til about 9:30 - 10 am...hit the re-planted cut-blocks with lots of deciduous growth on either side, that is prime snowshoe hare habitat...

Son texted me a pic of what he brought home to Princeton the other day.
    Said he could've bagged 10 if he wanted to, they were all over the place.
    Seeing as how you are a fellow Hoper, PM me and I'll help direct you to the general are he was in.
    Once grouse opens up I'll be joining the kid for a bunny and bird shoot.

I have never rabbit hunted and assuming rabbit honey hole requests are not as sacred as big game, is Princeton the closest place to the lower mainland where you can bag a few Thumpers at large?

You might want to phone up your favourite butcher and make sure he has the room to hang it.

Tons of rabbit around kamloops area this year,,,,,been out 4 times since aug 1st,,,,have bagged 19 so far most with the .22 couple with 12 gauge,,,,,right at crack of light till aprox 8:30-9am,,,,,then again 6:30-7pm till dark,,,,some shots are close aprox 10-15 yards and others can reach out to 50-60 yards,,,,,no probs with insects on them,,,,,old cut blocks with thick growth lots of fun and good warm up practice for huntin the grouse when they open
    Aim small,,miss small

Princeton, Boston Bar, Top of the Coquihalla off towards Tulameen, Merritt. They are around.

here I was thinking that rabbit opened on the 15th.... for what reason no one will know.. haha gonna have to go out this weekend and slock a few
    do it right, or dont do it at all.