Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mountain back packing food.

Re: Mountain back packing food.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    Sounds like you have it pretty well sorted out. One alternative to Mountain House which is pretty much the same stuff but quite a bit less expensive would be My Patriot Supply, they sell prepper stuff in large packs however you can buy the items that you like separately as well in smaller quantities.
    Thanks, I'll look into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    How are you packing in the oil? Big fan of adding extra calories through fats but I've had bad luck springing leaks. The single serving packets are convenient but definitely not very cost efficient!

Edit: anyone tried peak eats? Stumbled on them this morning, not a massive selection and not super high calorie but some tasty sounding meals, decent prices and it appears to be a canadian company.
    I've used the smaller white Nalgene bottles. They generally have oil proof threads.

But I've misplaced my old bottles in one of our recent moves, so I'll be testing the Smaller roll up Platypus bottles. They'd be a better shape, and lighter, if they work. I've also heard that some disposable water bottles have oil proof threads, so might look into those abit more too.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    On a different note has anyone tried dehydrating deserts for the mountain, that’s a morale booster! I’m going to experiment with an apple pie.
    A guy I sailed with did a Peach and apple cobbler. It was crazy good. He had freeze dried vanilla ice cream for it. Texture was weird, but the taste made it easy to get over.

Peak Refuel Canadian distributor - www.bridensolutions.ca

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    If I'm in the mountains, I'm counting grams. In the last five years, I've also starting being more aware of my caloric intake. I've tried a few different approaches, but have swung back to Mountain House for dinner, just because it's easier, but assemble the rest of the food at home.

But one trick I've found that is a huge help, is adding oil to my meals. Breakfast is home made instant oatmeal, dump in a couple tablespoons of C8 Medium Chain Triglycerides and it give me more pep in my step then a shot of espresso, plus it is sustained energy. It's a very thin oil, so you dont notice it in porridge.

Atleast one snack a day is peanut butter and honey, 4:1 ratio. Creamed honey in the summer and liquid honey in the winter. This is another huge shot of lightweight sustained energy.

Dinner is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Mountain House, that I breakdown into ziploc bags at home. Dump 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it and you have a 1000 calorie meal that'll keep you warm all night and weighs 150 grams.

I do have other food then that. But the oil helps in keeping weight down and calories up. I can hit 3000 calories in 1.25 to 1.4 pounds of food. That's removed 6-7 pounds out of my pack on a 10 day trip.
    We did the same thing on our sheep hunt last year - brought along olive oil to supplement most meals. It was by far the most calorie dense food we brought at 8.8cal/g, where the overall goal all food considered is 5cal/g. Just don't bring it in the glass jar it comes in!

I just ordered a 8oz nalgene with narrow mouth last week for the oil thing.
    And I've got another 3 meals to add to my collection.
    Sweet and sour mini meatballs with pineapple ginger stir fry and rice.

How are you packing in the oil? Big fan of adding extra calories through fats but I've had bad luck springing leaks. The single serving packets are convenient but definitely not very cost efficient!
    I used a 355mL water bottle and had no leak issues. It was maybe 1/2 full at a TBSP of oil per meal. Biggest downside is it takes up a bit of room.

Edit: anyone tried peak eats? Stumbled on them this morning, not a massive selection and not super high calorie but some tasty sounding meals, decent prices and it appears to be a canadian company.
    Check these out: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-1...E-Water-Bottle

They're one of my favourites for things like oil, vinegar, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampager View Post
    We did the same thing on our sheep hunt last year - brought along olive oil to supplement most meals. It was by far the most calorie dense food we brought at 8.8cal/g, where the overall goal all food considered is 5cal/g. Just don't bring it in the glass jar it comes in!
    I just discovered clarified butter in a jar at the store, marketed as ghee. Pure fat, supposed to have pretty good shelf life, apparently unsalted. Uncertain of consistency on hot days yet

Quote Originally Posted by brazen View Post
    I just discovered clarified butter in a jar at the store, marketed as ghee. Pure fat, supposed to have pretty good shelf life, apparently unsalted. Uncertain of consistency on hot days yet
    I've made Ghee at home and it was liquid for most of the summer. It's still butter. I kept it in the fridge.

But come to think of it, our coconut oil also liquified in the summer. So maybe the apartment gets hotter then a backpack. If I had to guess, it'd be mid 20's in there in the summer.