Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain back packing food.

Re: Mountain back packing food.

Thanks for the info everyone some good ideas on this post... appreciate the help.

One thing I love about this site is that there is ALWAYS a NEGATIVE NANCY on almost every post. Wasn't inquiring about COST was inquiring about TASTE suggestions! Whatevs...#byefelicia

I have done lot's of mountain hunting and tried lots of different food on the mountain. Just thought I'd get some new ideas.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by slyfox; 08-11-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Beef stroganoff
    noodles and chicken
    turkey tetrazzini
    Lasagna with meat sauce
    pasta primavera
    sweet and sour pork.
    I find that anything with noodles or rice are the best. Potatoes in things like the stews do not seem to soak up enough water so you end up with croutons.

pad thai in either MH or backpackers pantry... cant remember which but it was good.

Usually a MH user but this year I'm using Alpine aire. Wayy less sodium, and better selection of flavours. Heard nothing but positive feedback about them. Also for lunches I'll be eating peanut butter/honey bacon bagels. approx 700 cals for one 6.5 oz bagel. Then just the regular trail mix, cliff bar, and jerky for snacks throughout the day

Does anyone like the Canadian *Natures Harvest* meals. I like some of them very much, especially with a little personal modding, such as a bit of Olive Oil added and some extra time simmering.

For, shorter trips, I used to use *Magic Pantry*, now long gone and would mod these a bit into fairly decent dinners.

I like Granola bars and strong tea for breakfast and nuts, cheese pieces and jerky for lunch. Simple, works and is not overly costly.

Don't be afraid to try the"other" brands like backpackers pantry and alpine aire etc. While I find mountain house is pretty consistently good all their options are somewhat bland. Backpackers pantry has some good tasty options, I seem to recall some sort of Thai pouch being really good. A good variety is key.

Don't be afraid to spend a couple hundred bucks testing stuff out before the trip. A small expense that will make your hunt much more enjoyable.

Pepperettes, Ritz cheese crackers, jelly beans are some items I like to include in my lunches on top of the usual granola bars, jerky etc.

Do not underestimate the importance of good food on your enjoyment of a backpack hunt. I use to cheap out on my food and this is a big mistake,
    Last edited by ryanb; 08-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.

I like to bring dehydrated fruit and vegitables from home. The fruit is great to snack on and the veggies are nice for extra flavor in the dehydrated meals.

Going to bump this thread.

Recently had the chance to get my hands on some Peak Refuel, and that stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market.

It is slightly more expensive, but well worth it.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Going to bump this thread.

Recently had the chance to get my hands on some Peak Refuel, and that stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market.

It is slightly more expensive, but well worth it.
    Agreed as far as their dinners go but not a big fan of their breakfast skillet personally. The taste is great, but weight/cal and bulk are far behind some of the oatmeal/granola options out there.

That said, they aren't the cleanest foods out there either. Off-Grid Food Co. out of Washington state is a great option for those looking to eat actual food products. Another price point above Peak, but super good.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Agreed as far as their dinners go but not a big fan of their breakfast skillet personally. The taste is great, but weight/cal and bulk are far behind some of the oatmeal/granola options out there.

That said, they aren't the cleanest foods out there either. Off-Grid Food Co. out of Washington state is a great option for those looking to eat actual food products. Another price point above Peak, but super good.
    More of an oatmeal man, simple and all I need. Not a big breakfast guy.

As for the cleanliness of foods... come on Pete, I'm only 25 and still wolf down Mcds 3 times a week, probably should start looking at that closer though..
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF