Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain back packing food.

Re: Mountain back packing food.

I just made up a big batch of chili and got it all dehydrated and packed in to meal size vaccume packed portions. It was more of a test run before attempting other things-turned out great.

The Mountain House pro packs are vacuum sealed and pack way nicer. The only problem is there are very few options.

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    Hi fellow hunters just getting ready for my mountain hunt for grizzly and caribou.
    So getting ready to buy some mountain house food products.
    Was hoping to get some info on what flavors are good and bad.
    Thanks Slyfox.
    I always love the "what foods am I going to like" threads at this time of year.....

Only way to know, if it is a concern to you, is to try 'em all before you go. But if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything.

We eat Mountain House on some of our trips. They are certainly convenient and have a very long shelf life. Decent taste for space food too. I like the chicken teriyaki, chicken breast / mashed potato and some of the breakfast ones... like "omelet" or scrambled eggs with bacon.

Though a nice warm salty space food is good for morale and can give a little bit of energy, I find it's best to supplement with other food if possible. It's subtle, but if you're ever hunting and start to feel unmotivated like your halfassing stuff or giving it less than your all, it's easy to think "thats just how I feel today" ... question the food. A Mountain House exclusive diet can mess with ones head.

One of my favorites is store bought canned sockeye with the pop-top. Pick them up when they go on sale. Expiry is usually 5 years later and they're probably good for another 5 years after that. It's not uncommon to see cans >300 grams 2 for $5. That's a lot of protein/calcium and 2 or 3 of these in your pack isn't too bad unless you're going hardcore and counting grams. Add some fresh garlic or onion or mix it in with that Mountain House mac & cheese.

Frozen foods can last well into the second or third day of a hot September trip too. I've frozen things like cooked steaks, chicken, sausages, etc and even in 30 degree heat, they were great well into the second evening. Two less days of Mountain House is worth the extra weight and prep.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-11-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55mm View Post
    The only MH I cant truly get down is the beef stew.
    Had some MH lasagna once when it was real cold. Couldn't bring the water close to a boil. The end result was like Friday nights dinner during a Saturday morning hangover. Haven't been able to eat it since.
    Some of there other stuff is.....OK.
    You don't have to worry about constipation on a MH diet, along with that it's light.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I always love the "what foods am I going to like" threads at this time of year.....

Only way to know, if it is a concern to you, is to try 'em all before you go. But if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything.
    Could be at ten bucks a meal hes looking to not waste a bunch of money.
    Last edited by sky-gunner; 08-11-2015 at 04:32 PM.

I've never had a problem wolfing down MH after a day in the mountains - pretty much everything tastes good at that point.
    I like Mac and Cheese & beef stroganoff best. Last year we also took some of the new Backpackers Pantry flavours and we liked them best. If I remember they were spicier Asian dishes.

MH chicken teriyaki was our least fave. To each his own. We all have different tastes.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-gunner View Post
    Could be at ten bucks a meal hes looking to not waste a bunch of money.
    5 meals at $8.99 each is a minor cost compared to the fuel alone involved on heading out on a backpack trip....

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    I've never had a problem wolfing down MH after a day in the mountains - pretty much everything tastes good at that point.
    I like Mac and Cheese & beef stroganoff best. Last year we also took some of the new Backpackers Pantry flavours and we liked them best. If I remember they were spicier Asian dishes.

MH chicken teriyaki was our least fave. To each his own. We all have different tastes.
    Nailed it.... Won't know until you try it.

Mountain house is awesome. its tasty, packed with calories, convenient. i take 90% mountain house on backpack hunts. i even eat it at home if I'm lazy, which is often.

it last for something like 15 years in the pouches. so unless this is the last backpack hunt you plan on doing, don't be afraid to buy a lot of extra.

theres a website called 72hours survival. they are located in burnaby i think and have the best prices around on mh. they offer free 2 day shipping too if you spend 75 bucks or something and no tax because its food.

order 2 or 3 of every kind that sounds appealing to you. eat one of each flavour and see what you like and make sure it all agrees with your stomach.

i get some from cabelas in the states too. they have some meals that they can't sell in canada due to food colouring or additives or something. doesnt really scare me because i only eat them a few times a year.

oh and MEC sells them too, and back packer pantry and alpine air, also have free shipping and definitely the best canadian selection.

good luck!

Personally I'm not a fan of the mountain house. It just seems like such a departure from my normal diet. Dehydrating meals at home seems to produce a much better meal in my eyes. Any sort of one pot rice or pasta meal seems to work well. Cook it up, spread on dehydrator trays and let it crank for a while. It can also be done in the oven at low temp with the door cracked. Once finished pack in ziplocks or vacuum seal.

When ready to eat add equal parts dehydrated food and water. Bring to a boil remove from heat and let sit for a couple minutes. Taste very similar to eating a meal at home. Way cheaper than mountain house and tastier.

It does seem that using ground meat rehydrated better than other cuts such as stew

anyways just my opinion.