Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Father/son Vernon area newbies for deer hunting

Re: Father/son Vernon area newbies for deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
    Also if you are going up the road to King Edward Lake look out for the Coldstream Ranch property marker. Crown land above that marker, and private land below it and they do not allow hunting on ranch land. Same applies for the road up to Aberdeen Lake as some land that was open to the public years ago is now private, so if going up that way take a drive up it to become familiar with property markers. Also watch out for logging trucks as both areas to my knowledge are still being actively logged.
    I saw km markers up to 8 also noted a K-7 marker and fresh logging above that. Cattle in area @ k-7 marker. I did not see any noticeable ranch marker but it's clear that the cattle range even int that area.
    Thanks

It's fenced so ya can't miss it,and if ya go up noble canyon rd that is where there Vernon fish and Game Club shooting range is. Are you a member yet? Welcome to town �� and check out the forestry office just off Kalamalka lake road where ya might be able to get some maps of the area.
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!

All of this advice is very helpful so thanks to everyone 😎

Rick and Dan Dakin

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    check out the forestry office just off Kalamalka lake road where ya might be able to get some maps of the area.
    Hmm. Where is this forestry office of which ye speak? I go down Kal Lake Road all the time, but didn't know there was such a thing in that area. I figure you're talking about somewhere in the vicinity of Kal Tire's HQ but I just can't envision where it is.
    Sapienter si sincere

Quote Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
    Brag about the antlers not the caliber.

You guys are lucky, no matter which road you take you'll be exploring "New Ground"! Take some of the roads the guys have mentioned, first light or a few hours before dark, and drive around until you see deer. Then, grab your gear and go deer hunting! And this is how "Honey Holes" are made! Far as I know there's lots of deer around the Vernon area's, and a quick note,a friend of a friend brought a bunch of White Tail steaks to hunting camp I was at years ago, I think that was some of the best tasting Venison I've ever eaten! Good luck out there, and above all, Enjoy yourselves!

Forestry office is behind the kaltire shop on Kal lake road, can also get firewood and Christmas tree permits in there.

Old thread revival....

Becker Lake and area...question about it - checking out the KML from FrontCounterBC and it's showing as a tenure (although I can't figure out what the tenure...too much of a Google Earth noob, I guess)...so hunting's permitted up there?

I can literally hike straight up the hill from my mom's house and hit the lake (it's a tough hike, of course, but could be a fun overnighter in the early season). Essentially, I can hit all kinds of ground that will have no one else around (in all likelihood). Might have to walk through Ranch property to get there, but they've never cared before.

And if I get something, I can carry it to a FSR and get picked up instead of having to hike back up and down the hill with it..lazy, I know...but it's pretty f'ing steep to get up there.

During hunting season , you likely wont be the only one hunting that area .... once you get to the top of the hill and cross the fence (close to the powe rline ) below that fence is either coldstream ranch or bx ranch , either way private property and they do care these days .
    P.S that hill isn't that steep ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    During hunting season , you likely wont be the only one hunting that area .... once you get to the top of the hill and cross the fence (close to the powe rline ) below that fence is either coldstream ranch or bx ranch , either way private property and they do care these days .
    P.S that hill isn't that steep ...
    Admittedly I've never gone up the gully, which is presumably not as steep as going straight up the hill from our house (which would be...steep. Very.) And I haven't gone up there since I was about 9, so it's been close to 30 years, hah. But yeah, that whole hillside varies depending on where you approach it and I was only thinking about going straight up from the house. Good point.

In looking at the map, going up the gully avoids ranch property anyhow, so will make more sense.

Your hike to Becker could be done, would just have to pass on those deer seen on your way through the private, boundary will be clear when you get to the newish range fence.
    Then you would get to the road network that is south/west/east/north of the lake and have good walking, watch for traffic.
    Was hunting hard once further east with no luck , and then on the way home saw a thumper of a muley buck standing with his face over Buchanan Road, right beside a driveway and mailbox. Doh!
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole