Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Father/son Vernon area newbies for deer hunting

Re: Father/son Vernon area newbies for deer hunting

I loved hunting Vidler and Cherry ridge alpine areas in the early part of the season 40 years ago, when I lived in Vernon. I got high up on a logging road and scoped the opposite ridge for access points where it wasn't far through a screen of trees to access the alpine openings. You have to be prepared to climb and to pack game out for this kind of hunting, but we ate venison every year.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Old thread revival....

Becker Lake and area...question about it - checking out the KML from FrontCounterBC and it's showing as a tenure (although I can't figure out what the tenure...too much of a Google Earth noob, I guess)...so hunting's permitted up there?

I can literally hike straight up the hill from my mom's house and hit the lake (it's a tough hike, of course, but could be a fun overnighter in the early season). Essentially, I can hit all kinds of ground that will have no one else around (in all likelihood). Might have to walk through Ranch property to get there, but they've never cared before.

And if I get something, I can carry it to a FSR and get picked up instead of having to hike back up and down the hill with it..lazy, I know...but it's pretty f'ing steep to get up there.
    Its not that bad of a hike at all

Good to know. Will head up there a couple of times this summer to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickdakin View Post
    Where can we get info on North Okanagan FSRs and areas aroun Vernon, lumbyand cherryville. We are not into trophy hunting but love venison
    If your son is under 18, then you can take advantage of the youth season in most places beginning Sept. 1st...the bucks are still in their bachelor groups playing in the clearcuts every morning, if you go up higher in the mountains. They're up there staying cool and there's no hunting pressure to speak of...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Its not that bad of a hike at all
    I did the hike about a month ago...I think we live at the steepest part of the hill...it was pretty challenging carrying the kid in the backack...not overwhelming, but not "fun" or "easy". And definitely not a lonely area up there...I thought where they were would be quieter up there but it turns out it's pretty easy to get into out of Lavington.

I did the hike about a month ago...I think we live at the steepest part of the hill...it was pretty challenging carrying the kid in the backack...not overwhelming, but not "fun" or "easy". And definitely not a lonely area up there...I thought where they were would be quieter up there but it turns out it's pretty easy to get into out of Lavington.

Lots us of people go up there, and no lol wouldn't be a pleasant hike packing a kid up there. Good on you though lol

Access from Lavington is definitely easy (up Nobles canyon) and there used to also be a lot of quad/dirt bike access from the Vernon side (trail took off above Dixon Dam road). I know they did some developing up there a few years ago that shut that particular trail down... But I'm sure there are other ways.

All that said to agree... Probably not an are you're going to have to yourself. There are other areas close to town that produce. PM me if you're still looking and need some info.