Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawing and Aiming Basics

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Drawing and Aiming Basics

Holding the breath is a good idea - but exhale half the full breath while aiming and you'll hold on target a lot steadier. You shoud be able to complete the shot cycle within 10 - 15 seconds.

I try to take three deep breaths before drawing, then hold my air until I release. I dont exhale immediately after release, I try to wait til my arrow hits the target, that way I dont dislodge my follow through.

Another thing I do is moisten my eyes before I draw, a couple good blinks helps me to focus on the pin.

Another addenum would be a good muscle stretch before I shoot. Ive hurt myself a few times on my first draw of the day and especially on a multiple round course, but I suppose equally important on a single shot hunt.

This really brings into perspective how important it actually is drawing your bow in order to be consistantly accurate.
    It amazes me to see how skilled those Mongol horsemen actually are in order to draw, and shoot with such accuracy while at a full gallop.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

good read, thx

I've got one thing to add,...

When using peep sights, isn't it more natural to centre the pin in the peep? That the whole principle of the accuracy of peep sight in target rifles.
    So when I shoot, I centre the pin in the peep.

Many others will centre the sight housing in the peep, and the aim with the appropriate pin. I can't seem to do/comprehend this, as when I focus on the pin, amd go 'natural' it centres itself in the houseing.

I used to centre on the pin too and since using the housing my accuracy has improved. I used to shoot competition .22 as a young teen and our front sights were circles not pins. With a rear peep. When I asked why not a pin like my .22 at home the shooting coach told me that the human eye can centre a circle in a circle car easier and more in the centre than a single point in the centre. I believe this translates to centering the circle of he housing in archery. Plus if you centre on the housing no matter what pin you are using your "frame" is always the same and you move the same solid hold back position to the target.
    Hopefully I worded that to make sense...
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.