Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kootenay Elk Hunt - "Fair Chase" ??

Re: Kootenay Elk Hunt - "Fair Chase" ??

I would not even hesitate on that offer go for it you can have prim elk meat in your freezer..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

If the thought doesn't sit well with you perhaps you could think about parking your truck 5km from your friends house. Pack all your gear there. Set up camp but don't use any of his facilities for convenience. Set up your ambush blind at the far end of his property where the animals are known not to enter. Make your stock, take the game when given the chance and then pack everything back out 5 km to where you parked your truck. If that makes you feel better about the hunt.

There is nothing wrong with participating in such a prime hunt on private land. Even with the odds in your favor, there is no guarantee that the hunt will play itself out like you think is should. The Elk still have to participate and those buggers seem to have a keen sense when anything is a little off. Personally, I would be all in because it's sure nice to put the meat in the freezer without the heavy lifting associated with harvesting these beasts. Plus the money and time you'll save can go into a hunt that you really want. These opportunities don't present themselves enough in life so it's nice not to miss the gifts when they come about.

I promise that if you are not able to get it done after a couple encounters they will be far from domesticated

Nothing like the satisfaction of working hard and taking a nice animal in the backcountry. Tons of work but worth every bit.

That said, it's sure nice to get an easy one when the opportunity presents itself. Nothing wrong with dropping one of these elk.

Hey, if you see a saddle and stir-ups don't shoot - that one might be domesticated.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    so did op go??? did they show
    Nah, it never happened.
    The Elk remain happy.

Iron glove I understand your concern about the hunt.

Last yr I had a similar situation. Friend called and said no one was hunting his inlaws farm on opening day. With the bush closed down due to lack of rain I jumped on the opportunity. Opening morning we were sitting by an old barn 200ft above a 400acre hay field listening to a bull bugeling in the dark. As shooting light arrived the big bull stayed behind the only trees in the field and headed straight away from us. When he finally appeared he was 600yds away following 2 cows. We quickly turned our attention back to the rest of the herd which was at 400yds. My son and friend didn't feel comfortable shooting at 400yds.....2 shots later I had a nice spike bull lying beside the road along the edge of the hay field. 25min later the bull was gutted and hanging from the bail forks on the tractor, easiest hunt I have ever been on. After a few days I had a weird uncomfortable feeling about the " hunt "

In the end I discovered that I didn't enjoy it and have no interest in doing it again.

Give it a chance. Make sure wind is good and don't blow them out. If the old cow gets uneasy about the area better luck next year.

Fill the freezer with elk meat. Spend the rest of the season challenging yourself. Maybe look for your first sheep, big black tail.. maybe chase wolves.

Some of us don’t have the luxury of your choice. I took time off work and spent a week on a backpack moose/elk hunt living under a tarp. Got nothing. Spent $3K on quality meat instead. Your life sounds super tough, not.