Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly

Grizzly

So as the hunting season approaches and I'm going through my checklists a thought crosses my mind. I'll be bow hunting Sept 1 and that means no rifle. The next thought that crosses my mind is a wondering if Grizz have been a problem to anyone in the last couple of years? Now I know......boogy man stories etc. but really guys. Has anyone had any REAL problems/sightings and 1st person only please....let's keep the "somebody said" down to bare bones please? thanks for the input.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzly

Had to fire warning shots last year for the first time ever. Younger bear just being an asshole but still got our attention. This year will be the same or worse, dry year no berries equals hungry bears.

What general area are you going to be hunting in?

We had a mature boar grizzly circle us for 3 tense hours we kept a shooter on watch as we processed a moose and loaded it up. We left and seemingly the bear was content with the gut pile as we saw no more of him.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Yes, there are several real issues with grizzly every hunting season. Different regions have more than others obviously, but they are not just boogeyman stories.

Take a defender if you are really worried. You'll be alright just be alert. Especially if you have an animal down.

We processed an elk last year with a grizz spotted few hundred yards downwind. Had rifles in arms reach and one guy keeping an eye out.

We have an occurance every year. Up close and personal. Solution is always straightforward, grizzly or
    black, bear spray, air horn, defender. Usually in that order.

Make no mistake about it, you need to be aware of your
    surroundings.

A log scaler at our sawmill had to dispatch a charging grizzly at muzzle distance last year as he was walking down a fsr on an elk hunt in September. After his initial shot, the bear ran 20 yards down the road, stopped, and started to make a second charge. He put a second bullet into her, and killed her. He showed me the pics of her tracks that tore up the hard gravel surface on her way to take a bite out of his ass........scary. He immediately contacted the CO, and was commended for his quick actions. This was in the WK's.

Had two of us have to come to full draw with our bows on a grizzly as he stood up on hind legs at 25 yards after tense minutes of yelling and making ourselves very visible to the bear. He did eventually run away luckily been stalked by a few others as well got run out of a basin I was goat hunting in a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrayzer View Post
    Take a defender if you are really worried. You'll be alright just be alert. Especially if you have an animal down.

We processed an elk last year with a grizz spotted few hundred yards downwind. Had rifles in arms reach and one guy keeping an eye out.
    I have a defender but how do CO's view carrying it during bow only season?.....I stand corrected...I can hunt grouse,skunk, and snowshoe hare with shotgun Sept 1-10..I'm covered...
    Last edited by Edge; 08-01-2015 at 09:00 PM.