Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 150 outboard motors

150 outboard motors

bought a new boat but it is need of a new motor it has a 150 Yamaha on it right now but wondering what others would buy and have had good luck with also who gave them the best customer service with thanks
    win or lose we still drink the booze

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 150 outboard motors

I would go with a Evinrude Etec 150hp. A buddy of mine has a 70hp ETEC thats 6-7 years old and all he does is reg. maintenance and he's never had a problem. The 150 hp. weigh about 40 lb's less than a yamaha 4 stroke 150hp. When my Merc 115 2 stroke wares out I'll be looking at the ETEC 115 hp to put on my old double eagle.

I have a 150 Johnson that gives better preformance and fuel econemy than a 150 Yamaha that I have on identical boats. Both are in my opinion far more reliable than the 150 Mercury I had on one of these boats, it was always in for repairs.

Personally wouldn't touch an etec, or any 2stroke for that matter. 4 stroke all day IMO, 150 Yamaha, 140/175 Suzuki, 150 verado, 150 honda in that order. Breakers marine in Bamfield were great to me on my Suzuki purchase in 2005, 10 years and over 2000 hrs later still going strong. Suzuki df175 4stroke, worth all 19k.

Prince Rupert boyz favor Yamaha and Honda

guest Guest

Crazy now a day not to go with the modern 4 strokes ....... not wanting my 150 Merc Blue Water 2 stroker to die buttttttt ....... I wouldn;t put a new 2 stroke on for nothin...... noise, having mixed oil, smoke, starting etcetc its old technology .......

when mine goes my Trophy will be podded with a 4 stroker

Just my 3 cents

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Crazy now a day not to go with the modern 4 strokes ....... not wanting my 150 Merc Blue Water 2 stroker to die buttttttt ....... I wouldn;t put a new 2 stroke on for nothin...... noise, having mixed oil, smoke, starting etcetc its old technology .......

when mine goes my Trophy will be podded with a 4 stroker

Just my 3 cents
    Yea, and the gas mileage is brutal...

Believe it or not the new 2strokes are just ax good on fuel, quiet and don't smoke. Reliability and longevity are just not comparable to the 4's

Wow I was surprized at the Etec recommendation. Why anyone would choose 2 over 4 stroke behooves me. Motor,engine or make is a personnel choice..Choices made by experience or a friend has one or because my dad used it so it must be good reason. Technology is ever changing some people are not.Thats why we have threads like this.My father was a Ford person. I am not. Experience taught me otherwise..And yes I have a Yamaha 150 on my boat.

I have a 150 Etec (2008 and think it's great. No oil changes or filters to deal with, more power (every second stroke is a power stroke instead of every fourth stroke) It's fuel injected so is good on fuel. It does not smoke and there is no mixing oil (oil is stored in a separate tank and injected at a ratio determined by computer) Low maintenance (no valve lash or timing belts) It's self winterizing too.