Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another NZ trip

Another NZ trip

This was a trip that was donated to the Wild Sheep Society Convention, to be auctioned at the event in Kelowna last year. I was there for Friday Fun Night but did not partake in any bidding. Ended up purchasing the trip from an HBC member who won the bidding (cleaned out all my pm's, so sorry I can't remember who, but thank you again). The hunt was donated by Stacey Anderson of New Zealand Hunting Safaris. Stacey and his wife and family run a bed and breakfast north of Wanaka near Lake Hawea, they offered excellent accommodations and home cooked meals during my stay. The trip was a 3 day hunt for my choice of fallow buck, tahr or chamois and I was set on a fallow.

My hunt was booked for 3 days in Late May, with a week of fishing and exploring planned for the first week of my vacation. I drove from PG to Van as I had to deliver half a moose to my hunting partner. After cooking up some moose smokies and going through my bags one last time, I realized I had made a critical error…I had forgot my fly reels! Damn, but no biggie, instead of bringing 2 fly rods I would only bring my trusty 6wt and bought a replacement sage reel and new line at WSS and was good to go.

From there I was flying to San Fran and then Auckland and finally Queenstown. Was my longest flight so far but was very comfortable and wasn’t as big of a hassle as I expected travelling with a rifle. New Zealand Air definitely sets my standard bar, Air Canada sucks.

After arriving and picking up my rental suv, I received a text from my hunting buddy in Van, and realized I am a major dumbass… I had left my newly purchased backup reel AND binos on my buddies kitchen table. My first time realizing I forgot gear was mostly filled with optimism, but the second time was pure bitterness. Luckily there was a fly shop nearby where I was having lunch, and the price was only an extra 40% compared to the exact same reel I had just bought. So, naturally, I cheaped out and bought the cheapest reel they had. And then, naturally, the drag exploded on the first fish I hooked, fly line backlashed, fish gone…back to the store, exchange please, and left with another Sage 2200. Day One’s of my fishing and hunting trips typically tend to go about that well for me.

The scenery was amazing, took no time at all getting used to the left side of the road and all the roundabouts at intersections. The first week of my trip was spent travelling between Queenstown south to the bottom end of Lake Wakitipu, back north to Wanaka, east towards Christchurch and a few other spots in between.

Most nights were spent in the back of the suv with a couple of hotel nights. I met several other travellers like myself while fishing and had some great laughs.

Most of the rivers close to angling on April 30, so I focused on wading the lake shorelines and fishing a set of power canals. The local salmon hatchery releases 2% of their product annually into the canals and certainly draws crowds of anglers. However, when I envisioned NZ it was rainbows and browns, so that’s what I focused on. Nobody likes a crowd. The waters are crystal clear and after several failed attempts and missed fish, I had to examine my approach and slow things down. Standing up high on the banks and really scanning for sign well in advance of stumbling down and spooking them off. A slow moving shadow, a sip on the surface, a V wake, really thinking about where I would cast and the shadow of my line, minimizing back casts...looong cast sight fishing was the ticket and eventually I got the hang of it.

Fishing below the power canals provided a steady flow of rainbows and occasional brown. Was a style of fishing I was quite used to, bottom bouncing 2oz weights and fishing shrimp in the outflow from Power Station C into Lake Benmore. Most trout were in the 2-3 lb range and a gentleman fishing beside me hooked into a 34” lunker of a rainbow. I spotted some sort of insect hatch happening at the mouth of the lake and traded my spinning rod for my fly rod and a dry. It didn’t take long before an utter monster porpoised, mouth wide open, fly down. This thing was ugly, not even a mother could love it. Massive hook jaw, deformed mutant body, a garbage can with fins more or less. After catching nothing but 3 lb’ers all morning, I didn’t expect to hook one of these gigantic browns that I’ve seen so many pictures of. My 6x tippet wasn’t exactly going to turn him, so I held on and enjoyed the ride into my backing and he buried me and broke off in a distant weed bed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another NZ trip

After my fishing and exploring was done, I met up with Stacey’s wife and was off to the lodge to get settled and meet another guest I’d be hunting with. Roger is a taxidermist from South Dakota and volunteered to film my fallow hunt, as his stag hunt was finished. During dinner Stacey asked if we’d be interested in spotlighting rabbits, “um, sure.” Damn! Did not expect we were doing this and hands down the most fun I’ve ever had with a gun. The amount of rabbits there is unbelievable. Ripping through the pastures and chasing down bunnies, they were everywhere!

Day One of my hunt we checked POI on my rifle and were off at sun up. We were hunting a working sheep farm where the fallow are naturally sustaining. As was explained to me, the red stag are a mix of naturally sustaining with new animals introduced to keep up the genetic diversity. We found a vantage point and busted out the spotters and binos. As I had forgot my binos at home, I got to look through some Swarovski’s, pretty much ruined my opinion of glass for life and now I need to save up for a pair sooner or later. After narrowing it down to a handful of bucks I liked, I had to make a decision. I had always wanted a lighter bodied buck with spots, over one of the dark bodied fallows, so that was an easy call. But the tough part was deciding between the racks, take a slightly smaller rack that had all his points, or a much larger rack with rounded points off the back of his paddles.

We moved in closer to get a better look. In addition to a lot more mass, good height and width, I was also able to see a sticker on the palm on the larger buck. Sealed the deal for me, love me a little character. But in order to get closer, we had to hike through a valley we knew red stags were bedded. As we bumped them out I got my first up close look, very impressive animals indeed.

Although I didn’t plan to take a stag when I booked my trip, I would end up seeing this guy again…

Looks like a good trip to me. I often wonder what it would be like in New Zealand, They have no natural predators you could spend your life sleeping in the bush under a tent, care free.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Back to my fallow buck now. We got setup at 300 yards and waited for a good shot. My buck was the largest and was bedded down the whole time I was checking him out. As we were setting up for the shot, he had rose up to feed and moved into some heavy bush and disappeared. After what seemed like an eternity, and watching several smaller bucks walk out of the thick vegetation, finally my buck fed his way into a clear shooting lane, a single 120 grain ttsx from my 260 rem put him down at 298 yards.

The following day we woke up to snow! I was pumped, felt like hunting at home. We chatted about going for wallabies, but it was a 2 hour drive and roads were poor, so we elected for paradise ducks instead. I forgot to take field pictures today, but we setup silhouettes in a field and called, didn’t take long to bring some in. Hunting with a master taxidermist certainly has it perks, I learned a few tips, and we picked out a male and female pair of paradise ducks to ship home.

That evening there were some discussions, and in the morning I was going hunting for a red stag! With all the snow we didn’t get up too early, waited for the sun to rise and headed out. From 8am to 2pm was very slow, almost depressing. We hiked a lot on the ridges and were not seeing any animals, where they were just 2 days before. With the sun high in the sky and warming up, we were finally seeing animals move. We found a couple of shooter stags and I had to make another decision, this was an even tougher decision than my fallow buck. Once I made my mind up we began to hike in to get setup downwind of where we expected the stags to feed. In order to get to where we wanted to be, we had to bump the stag I turned down. It was instant remorse as he faced us head on at 360 yards and raised his head high. His rack was very TALL and wide, but little mass, no crowns and lacked that typical red stag “look” you expect in a stag.

I got over him quickly as we setup on the group of feeding stags, and looked for the one I wanted. The thorn bushes were thick and they disappeared easily. Soon as we found my stag again, it was a quick shot. 243 yards and perfect heart shot, but he still stood, so a second shot for good measure. My stag was down!

This was my first hunting trip outside of Canada and had an amazing time, pictures and memories to last a lifetime. Can’t say enough good things about my host and his operation.

Awesome stag man! Good for you!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

New Zealand is like Africa...one trip is never enough! I've yet to hunt birds there other than turkey but definitely next time! Congrats on a great trip.
    Last edited by sheephunterab; 07-30-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Looks like you had a great trip...those dark antlers with white tips are something to behold. The Paradise ducks are impressive, they are a third again as big as our mallards! Thnkx for the pics.
    Octagon Barrels are "in"...they were never "out"

wow nice pics of an awesome trip down under

unreal. I traveled there for 9 weeks back in '07 but never did any hunting. thanks for sharing
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308