Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenetic Energy

Kenetic Energy

Some friends and I have been talking about our bow/arrow set ups and what kind of kinetic energy is being produced. Yes yes the more the merrier and broadside shots rule but in your opinion what is optimal when hunting elk?

My rig is a PRIME Defy set at 60 pound draw weight at 28" draw length flinging 388gr arrows at 280 fps resulting in 67.53 foot/pounds of kinetic energy as the arrow leaves the bow. I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter Pros 340 Series with Luminocks and 1 3/4" Grim Reapers on the pointy end. What kind of set up are you folks running?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: Kenetic Energy

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    What kind of set up are you folks running?
    260 pound draw weight at 13.1" power stroke pushing 18.25" 400 grain arrows at close to 380 feet per second resulting in 126 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with Luminocks and 125 grain mechanical Spitfires up front. Should do the job quite nicely actually.

And methinks as your set-up is actually just over the recommended KE (42 - 65 pounds Source: Eastons web site) required for Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Boar etc) methinks yours will also do the job quite nicely!

A question for you though: Although the 1 3/4" Reapers have blades with a steeper angle to increase penetration, I am kind of wondering why wouldn't go with a robust COC fixed blade broadhead for elk? Not at all questioning your choice, simply curious is all...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Kenetic Energy

That's a monster set up nog

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    That's a monster set up nog
    LOL! At the time I collected it, it was the most powerful recurve crossbow on the market:

Never had an arrow fail to pass through.

Now that bow has been "surpassed" by Excalibur's new Matrix 405 Mega: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/cat...trix_405_mega_
    The new Beast on the block!

Having grown comfortable with mine, I will not be "upgrading" any time soon...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    260 pound draw weight at 13.1" power stroke pushing 18.25" 400 grain arrows at close to 380 feet per second resulting in 126 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with Luminocks and 125 grain mechanical Spitfires up front. Should do the job quite nicely actually.

And methinks as your set-up is actually just over the recommended KE (42 - 65 pounds Source: Eastons web site) required for Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Boar etc) methinks yours will also do the job quite nicely!

A question for you though: Although the 1 3/4" Reapers have blades with a steeper angle to increase penetration, I am kind of wondering why wouldn't go with a robust COC fixed blade broadhead for elk? Not at all questioning your choice, simply curious is all...

Cheers,
    Nog
    WOW those are great numbers and with the accuracy you have talked about before with those custom bolts you should join the armed forces and become a stealth sniper! Cool

I have had great success with G5 Montecs but admit to being seduced by the 1 3/4 hole being left by the Grim Reapers. One of the guys I know has killed dozens of deer with them with great success often watching them fall over within ten yards. So I'm going to give them a go on a deer or two before the season opener (cull permit) and see how they work for myself. If there are any doubts I'll be running back to the old faithful Montec Carbons.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

A bow with some stuff

still have my Answer set up with 425 grain FMJs flung outta a 29" draw at 67 pounds peak weight going close to 300 ish

74 ish footpounds of KE

Momentum downrange however is a better judgement of your killin' power

how fast does your arrows bleed energy

Oh and I am sticking with the T3 mechanicals by G5 outdoors
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

WOW those are great numbers and with the accuracy you have talked about before with those custom bolts you should join the armed forces and become a stealth sniper! Cool

I have had great success with G5 Montecs but admit to being seduced by the 1 3/4 hole being left by the Grim Reapers. One of the guys I know has killed dozens of deer with them with great success often watching them fall over within ten yards. So I'm going to give them a go on a deer or two before the season opener (cull permit) and see how they work for myself. If there are any doubts I'll be running back to the old faithful Montec Carbons.

Im big on the G5 montecs, but after watching a friend brisket shot a charging grizzly at 10 yards the grim reapers.. They have definitely made a name for themselves in my book!

Hermy, killing dozens of 60 pound deer is not the same as an 800 pound mature bull elk.....

Thanks. I think. But I'll stick to those critters that generally don't shoot back!

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    Hermy, killing dozens of 60 pound deer is not the same as an 800 pound mature bull elk.....
    This. I haven't killed any elk with my bow, but I know a good handful who have. The vast majority have advised me were I to undertake that, I should seek a razor sharp COC fixed blade to do so. I too am a fan of mechanicals, and the Spitfires have had Deadly Results on every deer I've shot with them. Just kind of wonder how they might perform on a much heavier (and heavier boned) animal like an elk or a moose... Be right interested to know how you make out should you tag an elk with the Reapers...

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    A bow with some stuff

still have my Answer set up with 425 grain FMJs flung outta a 29" draw at 67 pounds peak weight going close to 300 ish

74 ish footpounds of KE

Momentum downrange however is a better judgement of your killin' power

how fast does your arrows bleed energy

Oh and I am sticking with the T3 mechanicals by G5 outdoors
    The Hermit and myself tried the T3's last season, they failed with flying colures ! We had over 7 break off in a target and one in a deer. They would deploy in the quiver as well! We ended up sending them all back to G5.