Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Alberta elk draw

Re: Alberta elk draw

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm yesterday..day one. .4 INCH antler bull, cow elk that had its leg shot off last week was harvested by Swedish army..aka native..good job.so 2 day 1
    None by anyone today..50 % gave up after yesterday.

Another 450 kms..
    Only 30 % of base was open..hmmmmmmmmmm
    Seen 300 antelope..
    100 plus deer..
    Seen 300 elk..some decent bulls..all 100 % in the wildlife reserve..out of bounds..
    2 days 900 plus kms..no elk on the base..
    1 set of tracks. .10 yards onto base then back out of bounds..
    No elk seen by any hunters up till 1600 hrs..that were on base..actually no one even seen a set of tracks
    Matt got it done..we decided to stay one more day and hunt from dawn till dark..
    It started - 12 and ended at + 5 insane temp swings..
    No elk at all so far on the base..IMO..none but the spike and 3 legged cow elk..not even legitimate tracks other than 10 yards. .
    Last day tommorrow..and it has 100 more hunters for cows elk....some very upset hunters 70 % of the base closed off to hunting..
    No planning or consideration of $ time, effort to help eliminate some elk...Roy is far smarter than me..Matt far better hunter..
    Another 500 kms tommorrow with 200 licenses..and natives..potential for 250 vehicles?
    At one time today seen..18 vehicles bumper to bumper cruising for non existent elk . frustrated.
    Nite
    Steven
    Maybe it's time to use some boot rubber instead of truck rubber just to change it up?

Arrow Re: Alberta elk draw

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Maybe it's time to use some boot rubber instead of truck rubber just to change it up?
    Counter productive. This is a wide open PRAIRIE hunt wherein the elk can see you a considerably long ways off.
    Only time to hit the boots is after spotting them from a distance, and stalking in behind a mole hill...
    I'll post some pictures of the general area (photo's NOT allowed on the base) when I get the damn camera issues figured out...

Good Luck Steve & Crew!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

sounds like you guys are spreading horror stories to keep the rest of us away from your "sure thing" elk hunt...heheheh just kidding about keeping others away but , man, is sounds just awful to be hunting there all things considered...

couple years ago I drew a cow tag and had weather issues but still dropped a nice mature cow on the last day.
    There were herds of anywhere between 100 and 1000 animals
    closest we could get was around 400 yards but the 338 dropped her where she stood
    As Matt said getting out and walking on that bald-ass prairie can be counter productive until you can spot a herd from a 1000 yards away and then try and get close.
    Ya have to use whatever small nobs and low hills you can to cover the distance. Not like there are any trees out there to hide behind.....lol
    as it stands now this is not a sure thing hunt.
    I would be surprise if there is 1000 elk anywhere on that base.
    The way they have managed the hunt has pushed the animals five to ten miles away in some cases in the surrounding private land.
    Maybe that was their intention all along who knows.
    There is going to be a lot of mad landowners if they stay there and the wildlife branch and government will be dealing with property damage complaints and lawsuits because of the overpopulation.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Well...how was it Ruppster? Did the fog screw you guys up again?

That Good huh?

I'm going to be a priority 1 next year but I don't know if I want to waste that many points on this hunt. Lol.

Waiting on a phone call, Steve. Hope that it is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by REDGREEN View Post
    Waiting on a phone call, Steve. Hope that it is good news.
    nope, nada, nothing
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Hmm 3 days nada..seen 100..200 off base in out of bounds...
    Last day extra 100 hunters..cows..
    Trucks racing ..passing at 150 kph..some of the army staff..now hunters..they got to leave early..grrrr
    3 days never saw a elk on the base.necer met anyone who did..nor even tracks.
    Second day nothing south of gate 12 open..and east and west closed..makes it bumper to bumper....some boot work done..
    One or 2? Shot on day 3 by those that got there first..ie 150 kph
    Imo never was a chance..but spent 10 years priority..and 3 days trying..0230 am till 2030..
    And for the arm chair qbs..you put in 10 years..spend the time and $$$ then you can challenge the game plan...however 30 elk shot by 800 hunters or more since second half of season.
    When asked what would be the best idea for day 3? The range patrol replied..go home?...
    Hmmm the on area had elk but they didnt want to spare the staff to go around to that area...so it remained closed to hunters willibg to make the effort..truly sad..
    Steven

That sucks!! Sorry the experience wasn't bettor.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.