Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta elk draw

Alberta elk draw

Alberta bull elk draw..
    Its 2:30 am just recieved the news that I drew one of the Alberta Suffield military base area bull elk draws!
    The bad news its only for 3 days..and its in January..can you say cold..lol
    First my first pronghorn hunt in Alberta last year..picking up the finished mount in 2 weeks in Red Deer from Sugar creek taxidermy..Marco Pilon .
    Now my first Alberta bull elk 8 years priority..
    Thank you Springer for looking out for me and submitting my app. And hunter hosting me yet again.
    Cheers
    Steven

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta elk draw

Should be an interesting hunt for sure. A lot of unknowns with what kind of bulls are going to get shot, how the bulls will react, hunter success, and all the other variables with a hunt like that on the base. Some giant bulls there for sure, and a TON of elk. There will be some big big bulls that will come and go in and out of no-hunting zones in the base so a guy never knows what you could end up with!

Hmm seen some of the bigger bulls last year..lots of elk but anything can happen..they put out like 1,000 tags so they want a lot gone have been hearing 7,000 elk in the area?
    Get down couple days early for scouting...and my wife wants to come sherpa...!,
    Will be fun.
    Srupp

Unfortunately no scouting is permitted. The hunt is a real crap shoot. I suspect way more hunters will go elkless and disappointed than successful and happy but there is that remote chance of killing an absolute monster of a bull. Good luck and hope you find a dandy!

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Unfortunately no scouting is permitted. The hunt is a real crap shoot. I suspect way more hunters will go elkless and disappointed than successful and happy but there is that remote chance of killing an absolute monster of a bull. Good luck and hope you find a dandy!
    Hmm thanks , appreciate the heads up..but I do get to try..
    I watched your dall sheep hunt yesterday..Vanessa is sure brutal on her pants seat..lol but again great ram..keep up the exceptional episodes.
    Will post photos if successful..it will be fun..
    Srupp

So here are the posted numbers..
    17,000 applications to hunt these elk
    7,000 elk on the base
    1,160 permits issued
    50% of those are cows..antlerless
    Most guys are knterested in the monster bull elk dying of old age

Last year the indians killed truck loads of monster bull elk leaving truck loads of meat on the fields.
    Will still be ÷%_€£_=÷÷÷!,,,! Indians there for large racks in addition to 1,160 hunters
    Steven

I suspect the First Nations rumors were a bit over blown. Sure they killed several hundred elk but the number of monster elk wasn't that great. There are still plenty on the base. I suspect they will be back this year as well. It sounds like 100 licenced bull hunters per season. You are right about you having the opportunity to try. I'm kind of kicking my butt for not applying now. Sounds like some pretty low priorities were drawn for January hunts. It one of those hunts where I wouldn't expect much but you could be very pleasantly surprised if the right bull happens to wander out in front of you. The company will be good regardless!
    Last edited by sheephunterab; 07-16-2015 at 03:08 PM.

A high gamble draw but with the potential for an absolutely world class bull. Be interesting to see how it goes.

Hmm without high risks do not result in porential high rewards..seen cranker bulls last sept..
    Dont have any BC draws..
    Srupp

I was born and raised in alberta, still go back there for my moose and elk. Northern alberta area..