Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow retreval

Arrow retreval

OK so I went out to see The Hermit at Vantage Point Outfitters and Bill set me up with a HIPS target butt. I'm all set now to take my first shots with my new Excalibur, set the target at a measured off 20 yds. and fire off my first three bolts. All is fine and dandy the three bolts are in a tight group about 1/2 inch to the right of bulls eye, perfect height. I am tickled with the results of my first three bolts fired from my new Cross bow!
    The bolts are buried a measured 14"(fourteen!!! inches)
    I give the first bolt a pull and I can't budge it, I can't even get it to turn around to try and loosen it... Off to Island outfitters and purchase an arrow puller, no way can I get a bolt to move!

The worst of it is my wife is just about pissin' her panties laughing, three arrows at $20 ea. $60 bucks worth and I can't use them again!

I am sure that some one here can tell me what I now need to purchase to be able to get those bolts out, is there a screw in device that screws into the knock or some sort of pliers? I used some vice grips with leather in the jaws, that didn't work. I am afraid to tighten the grips too much and crush the bolt. What advice do you have?
    MM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrow retreval

The worst of it is my wife is just about pissin' her panties laughing
    What advice do you have?
    nnaawww............can't do it 0)
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Another set of hands usually works. The problem with new arrows and these super fast bows is it actually melts the foam and glues the arrows into the foam. I have had to pick bits of foam off my arrows after nearly firing a nut across the field from trying to pull it out. You can purchase lubricant so the arrows pull easier but armourall works just as good.

Advice is to rub your bolts on a bar of soap first before you shoot them and to stop shooting groups. Soap will make it a lot easier to get them out (try to turn as you pull it can help break the seal, so to speak) and not shooting groups will save you money because you will start breaking arrows when they start smacking each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

Spray them with pledge before shooting
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Thing is I already have shot them into the block, now I need to get em out!
    MM

Man up and give em a pull

I bet you have carbon bolts with a Camo finish

ya thoses are the worse to shoot with ... the finish is horrible on targets

While you are at Bills place ... get a bottle of Woodys arrow lube
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

You didnt go in dry did you??? Geez man, thats what LUBE is for...

Ya went in dry (no lube) and carbon shafts!
    Vice grips and Ucon jack to pull them out!
    Armorall and a bag of old clothes and life is good again!
    MM

Hummmm that is weird. I've found that arrows are really easy to pull from the HIPS targets! Do you have broadheads on them? Get a friend to help sometimes a third hand helps to get them out. Lube/WD40 etc will help too. Is there enough arrow left to push them through the target and out the back side?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."