Thread: Lets talk Elk

Lets talk Elk

What does your average day of elk hunting in the mountains consist of?

For me it's up high before first light to glass and listen. Once a bull is located make a play if the wind is right or later that evening after getting into position during mid day. But usually patience plays virtue when it comes to making a move.
    Mid day if no action in the early morn, hike into some wallows and cow call the dark timber.
    Set up to glass for evening.

Is is better to call them down hill or come from above if possible? Thermals/wind dependent of course.

Will be down in the south central koots first few weeks of sept. Can't come soon enough.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lets talk Elk

Me, I just drive around until a 6 point runs across the road, then I jump out and shoot him.

Bonus if he dies on the high side of the road, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Find a spot where elk essentials are; feed, water and place for them to escape up a steep treed incline. Locate yourself on a high ridge, but do not skyline yourself. Watch you wind. Be aware of the wind thermals moving upslope in mornings and downslope in the evenings. Bugle in the early morning or at dusk. Wait for a response to locate elk. Ideally have the bugler about 70 yds behind the shooter. Also, have the bugler thrash some bushes to really bring that bull in.
    Worked for me.

Listen well before first light... If they start first(calling) most likely they have been calling all night...you have one of the best case senerios to connect on a nice bull

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Me, I just drive around until a 6 point runs across the road, then I jump out and shoot him.

Bonus if he dies on the high side of the road, too.
    this. works everytime!! he died on the low side for me last year