Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grouse Hatch?

Re: Grouse Hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    is it possable for a third clutch, or chicks from the first having a clutch before summers end?
    I don't know ...but if it were possible this is the year....the second clutch grouse I am seeing are spruce...and the blue cocks been putting on a show this week so the blues are headed for second clutch
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

This Ruffed appears to have her chicks well on their way.

I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Been seeing some good looking chicks around. This warm dry spring means chicks everywhere?

Haven't made it out to my grouse holes yet but I've been seeing lots of big broods of quail down at the lower elevations. Cool pics BTW.

Tuesday I was blasting down a local FSR and saw a dozen hens with good broods. Friday/Saturday went back down the same road and didn't see one. I had to check the regs to make sure the season hadn't opened because that is usually how my luck goes.

Is there more than one breeding season? I could hear cocks calling non-stop the whole time I was fishing. Wondering if there is a second breeding season for hens that didn't take in the first.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

When are you guys going to clue in?
    Grouse have one brood per year unless they lose ALL of their chicks from the first hatch.
    Every year we hear the same nonsense about two hatches in one year.
    Small chicks in September are the result of a hen nesting again after losing her initial brood.
    Cheers ----- Field Marshal.

It has been a wet month in Terrace...a "someone" told me that Grouse numbers will be low....better luck out in Smithers Hazelton area.

Saw 8 or more in a covey near say ward yesterday
    Blacktail Nut