Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouse Hatch?

Grouse Hatch?

Anyone know when grouse chicks typically hatch? Thinking of heading out to a couple of my honey holes soon to check out this years' crop. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse Hatch?

My son was watching a nest and it hatched a couple of days agoe. 9 out of 9 hatched. Was talking with the biologist here in fsj about it and she said typically in middle of June. Another factor in a good crop is minimal rain in june and first couple weeks in july until the have their feathers.

I've seen a few hens with chicks recently.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have not seen any hens with chicks yet but I did hear some roosters drumming on my last fishing trip to Tsacha lake.

seen chicks two weeks ago..little buggers
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I have seen some nice broods, the largest being a doz. by actual count
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I was up in Skagit Valley today for the last day of spring bear (saw nothing) but I did see 4 or 5 grouce at the side of the road . Its a good sign

Saw a nice fat grouse near port Alberni the other day. Dog was pretty amped to get out and sniff out some more. No chicks around, but Ax seemed pretty sure there were other birds around.

It certainly has been dry, that should bode well for survival rates I would think. Haven't got out yet but plan on taking a couple hikes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by itsy bitsy xj View Post
    I was up in Skagit Valley today for the last day of spring bear (saw nothing) but I did see 4 or 5 grouce at the side of the road . Its a good sign
    Saw a few does with fawns up there on Saturday and on the way out on Sunday, had mother hen run across the road in front of us. There was no one behind me, so I was able to stop briefly as to not run her over... then we watched 7 little cheepers zip across the road, pretty much one at a time. Each one I'm thinking... are they done?! They have definitely hatched around here.