Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trad gear

Re: Trad gear

Shooting compound was fun for a while. You quickly start shooting perfect or very near to perfect rounds. Then it's too easy. So I switched to see how good I really was. Where did I really measure up when a I didn't have lasers, and rangefinders, and magnified sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    I shot a checkmate takedown hunter also for years but switched last year to a lighter (50lb) Kiowa..it's a short little bow but is just plain fun to shoot and a joy in a treestand. I would like to question Greybark on his analogy...I believe that guys that switch from trad to compound sometimes fall back to instinctive shooting when using a compound which can have disastrous results while hunting...it's just my opinion however.
    Hey Aggie , who said anything about hunting ? Must be Hot in the valley . LOL
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Hey Grey, Isn't why we shoot bows at foam animals?

Hey Aggiehunter , Just came back from 100 Mi 3-d and a bit warm up there yup shooting at foam animals .
    A question for you LOL . What percentage of Trad archers and Compound archers attending 3-D event actualy hunt ?
    OK , one more what percentage of bowhunters go from Trad to Compound then back to Trad that experience disasterous results ?
    LOL . Got both hands on the spoon on this one .
    Cheers

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

grasshopper will try and answer.....judging by the amount of camo worn at 3D shoots I'm gonna go out on a limb and say at least 75 percent hunt.....with the advent of user friendly compound bows I would bet only 25 percent or so come back from the darkside and rekindle their love of wood and feather. I do notice a higher percentage of people switching between trad for 3d and compound for hunting...this probably due to increase success with the compound. Should have an asparagus crop next year.....

I shot one of my recurves at the Semiahmoo 3d the first round and then my compound the second round. I don't think too many archers have the problem you speak of aggie. And I would say it is probably about 25% to 35% of people at 3d events also actually hunt.

fox...there isn't usually too many problems switching equipment when the animals are already stuffed...

Who is shooting stuffed animals? There are guys that shoot instinctive with a compound but most use a sight and aim. I use the tip of the arrow to aim when I am shooting my trad gear... Either point on, gap, or stringwalking... Or a combination... But get this, I shoot instinctive under 10 yards. I don't see how someone can accidentally switch to instinctive just because they are hunting and using a compound with a sight. Do you also shoot a compound and have found you have this problem? I am just trying to figure out where you got this idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    I shot one of my recurves at the Semiahmoo 3d the first round and then my compound the second round. I don't think too many archers have the problem you speak of aggie. And I would say it is probably about 25% to 35% of people at 3d events also actually hunt.
    Hey Aggie , I think your 75 % is way to high and Foxtail`s 25-35% is more in line . My guess would be around 15-20% . I do think that you will agree that these figures will vary depending on the demographics of the shoot but I feel the margin of error will come close to 75% .
    Cheers

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Fox...no it hasn't happened to me as I shoot a recurve only....I have spoken with longtime trad guys in camp who have missed animals with a compound up close and don't remember picking a pin when shooting...so it can and does happen. Greybark you are correct....when we have a 3d shoot up here it's quite a few hunters....down in the big smoke it is probably different. Straight arrows boys...