Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trad gear

Re: Trad gear

Quote Originally Posted by island1 View Post
    What made you switch over, was it the challenge with a trad bow.
    As a kid I never went a day without having an alder self bow. I spent my teen age years pouring over hunting magazines. Normally would always read the traditional section first. Once I was old enough to hunt I acquired a recurve and a compound bow for hunting. At the time I was working like crazy so the recurve was more for just target practicing and grouse while I used the compound for hunting big game. That was in Ontario. I moved out to BC and spent a couple seasons just using a muzzleloader then once again I started to miss bowhunting so I acquired a new compound bow. I was loving being back into archery but still felt like I was missing something. In the recent years the compound bows had taken a large leap. Was normal to be shooting 60-70 and even 80yrds with a bow. Just didn't feel right to me. Fun watching arrow flight at that distance but if I wanted to shoot an animal that far away I might as well use a muzzleloader. I started thinking about my old faithful recurve that was back in Ontario. So once again I have it in my hands.

I am a very simplistic man. I enjoy lifes small simple pleasures. Hard to explain without going into great detail. However compared to a compound bow a recurve bow just seems natural to me. Sure you still have to tune it but its amazing what you can do with simply a stick, string, arrow and a tab/glove.

I think the biggest challenge with the switch over is draw weight. Guys go from shooting a #60-70 compound bow and they purchase a long bow or recurve in the same weight. They soon realize they made a mistake. Out bowing your self is setting yourself up for failure. Archery is all about proper form. Just my opinion but you can get away with poor form with compound bows. You will eventually notice it at longer ranges but with traditional gear you'll notice poor form right away. Having your equipment tuned properly is your next important thing. You won't find anything more aggravating than trying to shoot instinctively when your equipment isn't properly tuned.

Then comes practise. I look at learning to shoot traditional equipment like teaching a young kid to shoot a bow for the first time. Its all about being up close and personal. Everyone wants to rush and be able to shoot long range. Proper form, anchor and release are key. Muscle memory! Start at 5yrds. How fast you moved back in my opinion depends on the person. When I started shooting my recurve it was in the middle of winter in northern Ontario. I lived on a farm and would go out to the hay barn to shoot. Maximum distance I could shoot with the big doors closed was 20yrds. I spent the whole winter shooting no more than 20yrds. From 2yrds to 20yrds and practically every yard in between. From a variety of angles and positions. Sitting, kneeling, elevated etc. The saying aim small miss small is very true. Big target small bullseye. How small of a bullseye? Smaller the better in my mind. Even now I live in Nunavut. Extremely cold windy winters. Meaning I shoot indoors all winter. No range up here so I shoot in the house. Farthest I could shoot in my old place was 18yrds. New place is 5yrds. Is it a waste of time to shoot 5yrds? No. I shoot almost every day. Do I shoot an hour at a time? No, I will pick up the bow and normally shoot 5-10 arrows at a time. Sometimes once a day and other times multiple times a day.

I could go on but I got to move more stuff to my new place. I will probably add more later. All I can say is traditional gear has always felt natural for me. Like I said I shoot almost daily. I could never shoot daily with my compound bow. Would just get bored too easily with it. Picking out traditional gear is also a whole new ball game. So much to choose from. There's a few very knowledgeable guys on this forum about traditional archery. I am sure you'll get lots of pointers. Also with it being 3d season try and make it out to a few traditional 3d shoots. Trad guys are normally very pleasant to chat with about gear. Unlike those stuck up compound bow shooters
    Last edited by TheProvider; 06-04-2015 at 06:53 AM.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

I like both compound and primitive . I have no interest in buying a trad bow . I have been making yew wood self bows with good results it still working progress.
    trad and primitive bows are so much fun just to stump shoot when you are out shed hunting or just hiking .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

The post above illustrates one of the hard truths about trad gear (that discourages many): You get out what you put in.

If you don't have the time and/or dedication to practice regularly, all year round, it really isn't for you. If you can slow the roll, and be patient and put in the time, then the rewards are there. It isn't like a rifle or a compound for many folks where you dust it off in mid summer, tune it and hunt in the fall.

In this day and age of shortcuts, instant gratification and success, a lot of people just don't seem to be wired for trad gear in a way that makes it meaningful for them.

But beware, if it is a fit for you, your life will never be the same
    -Just a simple minded guy with a longbow looking for fun.

A heads up for the compound archers . Due to the mental aspects of form and shot sequence in particular during the let off phase of using the modern bows I find that these archers easly transform to traditional . Their long and sound shot sequances are quickly speeded up and with their ability to focus and fight for lines with their competative peers serves them well .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I have shot compound for years and enjoy it very much but during the winter shooting indoors (20 yds) I did not find it challenging enough. Not to say I was shooting with pinpoint accuracy but my groups were getting pretty good. Somewhere along the way, thanks to the likes of greybark and others I got bit by the "Trad Bug" and purchased a very nice take-down re-curve. Now it's really challenging. lol Enjoy it so much I ended up buying 2 more older re-curves and using one of those to shoot my first traditional 3D last weekend. Now I have the best of both worlds as I can shoot either style depending on who I shoot with. Both are different yet the same as you must have good form, good anchor and be able to judge distance. In my opinion anyone who puts in the time and effort to become proficient with a bow be it traditional, primitive, compound or crossbow should be admired. Above all no matter what you shoot have fun and always be encouraging to other archers.

I am new to hunting but have shot traditional archery gear for many years. I did acquire a shoulder injury - not sure if it was from one of my other sporting activities or being over-bowed a bit (50# recurve - not enough regular practice) - which kept me off my tackle for a year. But with some rehabilitative strength training, I am back to the weight again and looking forward to the fall hunt. My point is: use it or lose it.

Trad here with a recurve. As others have said, too many gadgets and gizmos on a compound however to each his own.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I have a: longbow, recurve, compound, self-bow, and compound crossbow and enjoy shooting them mostly in that order.

These days, I tend to hunt with the compound for the extra reach and confidence... I don't practice enough with the trad gear due to laziness, touchy shoulders, and back. But I much prefer the longbow for 3-D and stump shooting.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I have a: longbow, recurve, compound, self-bow, and compound crossbow and enjoy shooting them mostly in that order.

These days, I tend to hunt with the compound for the extra reach and confidence... I don't practice enough with the trad gear due to laziness, touchy shoulders, and back. But I much prefer the longbow for 3-D and stump shooting.
    Amazing honesty...spoken from the heart. Well said.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I shot a checkmate takedown hunter also for years but switched last year to a lighter (50lb) Kiowa..it's a short little bow but is just plain fun to shoot and a joy in a treestand. I would like to question Greybark on his analogy...I believe that guys that switch from trad to compound sometimes fall back to instinctive shooting when using a compound which can have disastrous results while hunting...it's just my opinion however.