Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: opinions needed

Re: opinions needed

I guess another question that might be asked, most hunters have a spot that has been productive in the past so they return there. ask your self if you saw as much game as before, simple....wolf tracks huh
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

Wildlife managers in this province realize predator numbers are at a level where hunting and trapping will not provide the correction needed to achieve balance fast enough . Bears can be reduced by hunting, wolves are another matter. The stumbling block is worrying about "the social license concern" if the province does what should be done to drop predator populations to a manageable level. A look through some of the previous posts show how true this is. The start of growing more wildlife is a widespread predator reduction program based on ungulate enhancement and livestock protection. If we want to carry on down the path of "I only shoot what I eat" the day will come soon that we don't hunt.
    I respect wolves for being the apex predator that they are but it's never bothered me to shoot one and the urge has never come to put one on a plate.
    Last edited by bearvalley; 05-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Wildlife managers in this province realize predator numbers are at a level where hunting and trapping will not provide the correction needed to achieve balance fast enough . Bears can be reduced by hunting, wolves are another matter. The stumbling block is worrying about "the social license concern" if the province does what should be done to drop predator populations to a manageable level. A look through some of the previous posts show how true this is. The start of growing more wildlife is a widespread predator reduction program based on ungulate enhancement and livestock protection. If we want to carry on down the path of "I only shoot what I eat" the day will come soon that we don't hunt.
    I respect wolves for being the apex predator that they are but it's never bothered me to shoot one and the urge has never come to put one on a plate.
    Excellent post sir.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

As a nubby hunter from urbania I was of the mind set that it is noble to share the game with the wolf or cougar I guess.

My first step to accepting and then embracing predator hunting was on this forum where a couple of posts and then PM's told me how predator hunting makes you a better ungulate hunter. (No thine enemy no thine self so to speak)

Next I actually tasted; Grizzly Bear, Cougar and Bobcat... and it was delicious:

Then I saw wolves are not the conservationist hunters you are taught in grade school they do wound and they do kill for other reasons than eating:

I have never had a problem with killing coyotes... they are an invasive species and pose real threats to humans through danger to us, our pets, and our children: The may not kill humans on this coast but they do kill humans on the east coast!

Lastly I spoke with farmers and their concerns with predators and the appreciation they show to hunters willing to come out of season to put the fear
    into the local Coyotes and wolf populations around their farms.

So in a nut shell it is all about education which is what Ol'Fowl is trying to do
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

ol fowl,i will check with jim but I believe this is another demerit point...d
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Here are some of the presentations at the BCWF AGM last month. The numbers are not specifically pointed out region by region, but I believe you will get the point.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM20...ry%20Kuzyk.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM20...ck%20Stent.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM20...20Jamieson.pdf
    thank you for this. Very good information, particularly the last link.