Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tohatsu. Any Opinions?

Re: Tohatsu. Any Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaScene View Post
    Buddy owns one... says it is Yamaha and identical if you took the lid off. Very good name in sailing game for dingy.
    yup.
    its kinda like electronics, batteries, javex, etc.
    lots is the same shit just with different labelling.

As far as i know both honda and yamaha make there own outboards and all there own parts. they have nothing to do with tohatsu
    Elite Energy 32

Quote Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
    I don't own one I have a Yamaha T8, I highly recommend Yamaha and Costco just happens to be selling them right now at a very good price. Tohatsu apparently is the second largest outboard manufacturer on the planet, they also make Nissan, Evinrude and Mercury (under 30hp) outboards. I have had a Mercury 9.9 and hated it, hard to start, died while idling and the tilt mechanism was a pain.

These engines run very lean the first one did not have power tilt (wife couldn't manage the manual tilt) so traded one with, we just pulled the lead plug and adjusted the carb ,starting and running issues disappeared. The second one with the power tilt had carb adjusted before it left the dealer, all good after 4+ years.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Tohatsu is one of the oldest outboard engine manufacturers. All the Mercury engines 30hp and under are built by Tohatsu. Some of the Merc/Tohatsu engines are identical other than badging. A lot of proud Mercury owners have a hard time believing that, but fact is fact. Also build Nissan outboards, and now Evinrude 15hp and under.

I have a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on my 16ft Naden (like a beefed up Lund WC) and it's great. Quiet, smooth, torquey, and amazing on fuel. Has no problems pushing the 16ft'er with 2 of us, dog, and a load of camping/hunting gear.

Cousin also uses the factory 50/35 Jet guiding on the Skeena & has never done anything to it other than put fuel in and run the bag off it. No issues.

They are very good engines. I'm in the process of picking out a 12ft aluminum and when I get one I'll buy the 9.8 Tohatsu for it.

Had a 18 HP Tohatsu for several years until it cut of it's lock and ran away from home one night. It was an excellent motor, can't recall a single complaint.

Just stay on top of maitenance and it'll last a life time, i found with my buddies it can get build up and start to run a little off at low idle after we've trolled for a few hours with it. Quick boot around for 15 minutes usually clears whatever out and runs good again for a while.

I own a 2004 Yamaha 9.9, best engine i've ever used. Sits all year and with a half pull starts, idles low, and i use it to troll on lakes. Rarely use my electric now unless were fly fishing still/shallow water. With buddies we have a hard time getting it to go slow enough on his 12' so we either go in reverse, or drag a drift sock/5 gallon around to slow us down.

Also with my 9.9, newer 12' heavy duty Lund i go a little bit faster than his older/lighter 12' and 9.8. If we've got both boats out we'll usually load mine with the gear until our destination to keep the same speed as eachother.

I have a 3.5hp Tohatsu.
    I had trouble at low idle due to old gas.

Took 10 minutes to pull carb, remove all jets and soak and clean everything with carb cleaner.
    Works like a charm.

The thing I hate about this 3.5hp is there is no reverse gear. You must spin your motor right around to back up. Pain in the ass. So I tend to just use my electric motor on my small Jon boat.

I love my little 8 hp Tohatsu. Had it since 1994. Pushes my little 12 footer along loaded with 2 people, 5 gallon jug of gas, cooler, fishing gear and anchor at 15 mph all day. Never burnt a full tank of gas in a summer. And I'm talking fishing every day for 2 weeks and still some left. I switch the gas every spring. Never have drained the carbs. Energiser Tohatsu it keeps going and going and going.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I have never been completely sold on 4 stroke. Got my eye on a 2010 Yamaha 2 stroke now. Cant wait to see it on monday. There is a nice 04 honda in Tsawwassen for 1500 bucks that looks good too but i dunno. So many girls..oops I mean toys to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    Tohatsu is one of the oldest outboard engine manufacturers. All the Mercury engines 30hp and under are built by Tohatsu. Some of the Merc/Tohatsu engines are identical other than badging. A lot of proud Mercury owners have a hard time believing that, but fact is fact. Also build Nissan outboards, and now Evinrude 15hp and under.

I have a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on my 16ft Naden (like a beefed up Lund WC) and it's great. Quiet, smooth, torquey, and amazing on fuel. Has no problems pushing the 16ft'er with 2 of us, dog, and a load of camping/hunting gear.

Cousin also uses the factory 50/35 Jet guiding on the Skeena & has never done anything to it other than put fuel in and run the bag off it. No issues.

They are very good engines. I'm in the process of picking out a 12ft aluminum and when I get one I'll buy the 9.8 Tohatsu for it.
    I have a 25 Tohatsu that is also great. They make the two-strokes for Yamaha too, or at least they did until a couple of years ago.

Do you know any dealer that sells Naden? I have the wide beam 16' but I'm looking for replacement transom handles.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."