Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tohatsu. Any Opinions?

Re: Tohatsu. Any Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    There is the Yamaha 4stroke kicker, then there's everything else. As for two stokes I can't believe they still make them, junk...
    c'mon now, they are good for ridding the air of mosquitos with their cloud.

There is the Yamaha 4stroke kicker, then there's everything else. As for two stokes I can't believe they still make them, junk...
    For the old carb 2 strokes, I agree. Smoky rattlers. Never liked them much.

The direct injected 2 strokes are a different animal though. The Tohatsu TLDI are very good, and the Evinrudes seem to blow the doors off most 4 strokes and burn the same or less fuel. Not sure how reliable the E-Tec is though.

Direct injection IS the problem with them. I'd take an older carbed or efi two stroke over a DI deuce. Ya they burned way more fuel but were reliable. Optimax, HPDI and etecs have a ton of issues. Yes they're great on fuel and good power/weight ratio but torque of a 4stroke trumps. One revolution a little too lean on the direct oil injector and pop, compressor issues. Guys that run them in commercial application lease them for a reason...

Tohatsu invented the first marine diesel motors. Pretty sure it wast around 1947
    They are the same company as Nissan
    they also invented and have patents on the first cold fog fuel injection marine motors.
    They are the best
    We've been waiting years to buy a 225 to 300 that they've been testing for over 5 years but they have not produced them for sale yet. Currently we run a 225 etec and have over 600 hours on it. Bullet proof. You cannot compare these new motors to anything that "we used to run". That being said the new etecs this year look awesome and I'm sure we will being running one soon. 5 years no maintenance no oil changes. Like WOW.
    15 to 20 percent more than torque at the prop not the shaft and much better fuel economy.
    Our old outboards are either lawn ornaments or anchors.

600 hrs hardly warrants 'bulletproof' status? That's only a couple seasons fishing for a living...
    Last edited by .264winmag; 05-31-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Direct injection IS the problem with them. I'd take an older carbed or efi two stroke over a DI deuce. Ya they burned way more fuel but were reliable. Optimax, HPDI and etecs have a ton of issues. Yes they're great on fuel and good power/weight ratio but torque of a 4stroke trumps. One revolution a little too lean on the direct oil injector and pop, compressor issues. Guys that run them in commercial application lease them for a reason...
    Definitely are finicky (E-Tec). Sounds like you've seen a few problems from commercial use. Guys who run them sure like them though.

The Tohatsu 2 stroke is low pressure injection though and seems to be pretty tolerant and reliable. Guides I know running the jet models beat the snot out of them and are not having any issues.

my Nissan 40hp is a 2-stroke and it's been flawless.
    and it is awesome on fuel.