Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: setting your rifle up

Re: setting your rifle up

I zero my .30-06 for 250 yards making it about 3 inches high at a 100yards. = greatest amount of point blank range..

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Here is an important tip for you... once your rifle is sighted in, always keep your scope dialed to it's lowest magnification until you need to dial it up. There will be an occasion when you come across a target animal at 35 yards and if your scope is not dialed down all you are going to see through it is a big mass of fur or hide. If the animal is a 200 yards you should have plenty of time to adjust your scope, 35 yards... not so much.

Second tip, if you are not carrying a range finder, I don't, learn exactly what a hundred yards looks like. sort of defeats the purpose of sighting in to a specific distance if you can't recognize that distance in a heartbeat.
    Excellent tips. never leave it on max X

I always used to leave mine on 5x (leupolds)
    Last year I switched to a Swarovski and with the different in reticle size I have to leave it on 3x to hit running game as I am accustomed to use the duplex for a lead.

And learn 100 yards. Not sure if you play a sport, but referencing 100 to a playing field might help you judge distance.

I have played a fair amount of sports and I found referencing field sizes didn't help much in the bush. I was still generalizing yardage but confident because the thick stuff limited me to all sub 100 yard hunting. But then I started hunting with buckshot and had to view range more precisely like a bow hunter. I used to regularly walk to work and gauge distances then pace them off. I got pretty good at it too, as long as I was walking along the side of the road. But the bush yet foiled many of my attempts to replicate this success. Undulating ground, trees and unknown target size really threw me off. I broke down and got a range finder after letting a few too many deer walk as I did not know for sure if they were just in or outside of my comfortable kill zone. I was constantly surprised when I started using it in the forest. Once I watched a little button buck sneak by me a close range. I put my range finder on him when I picked him up again across a small clear cut. That little guy at 100 yards looked a lot like a decent deer at 150 or 200 in the failing light. So here is what I have learned on range guessing, it is easier in flat open spaces, it is harder the farther the target, and target size can really throw you off.

So my advice, be careful on the range estimations especially if they get out to 250+ yards. And like others say keep that scope dialed low, make it a mantra.

I typically adjust point of impact to be no more than +2" @ 100 yards.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004