Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best 1p Tent Options?

Re: Best 1p Tent Options?

I posted on this on another thread recently and will reiterate here. I have owned-used many mountain tents since my first purchased in the late 60s and from both Euro. and US and Canuck makers. I have spent weeks at a time living out of some of them and in the Kootenay winter as well as every other month.

Hillebergs are THE BEST tents I have ever used by far and are actually worth the ungodly cost, here you really do get what you pay for. My second choice is the superb single wall GT tents made in Calgary by Integral Designs, BUT, the ones now sold under that name and made in China, are crap by comparison. These can still be found sometimes, in good shape, pre-owned, on various hiking forums classified sections, but, tend to sell fast.

I was going to sell my spare one, but, decided to keep it in my truck pack for any unplanned camp. They, are the lightest, genuine expedition-grade shelter I would trust in all BC conditions. They, can-do have condensation issues, but, a half sponge and a few minutes takes care of that.

I also like Mountain Hardware and some MSR tents, but, none of these is quite up to Hilles, however, they are a lot less $$$$$.

I will no longer use any of the ultralight single wall shelters as a stand alone camp especially alone, I have done this and found that a free standing tent is much more versatile and sets up better in high winds. I do like such a rig for cooking in and am contemplating buying a Seek Outside Cimarron when I have some $$$$ to spare.

HTH, JMHO.

I'm looking at the ZPacks shelters. They look to be the lightest shelters available that have a floor and mosquito netting.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelters.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Thanks for the tip, bringing a good buddy along for first sheep hunt. He needed a tent and I've always wanted a bivy lol. Ordered last one available today, currently in production. Very pleasant people to deal with, review to come in a few weeks.