Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 1p Tent Options?

Hybrid View

Best 1p Tent Options?

The title pretty much says it all. I am looking for a good 1 man tent suitable for backpack hunting. Do you guys have any suggestions? The Kuiu Ultra Star has my attention, anyone have experience with it?
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best 1p Tent Options?

Hilleberg enan and akto. By the time you are done paying for a kuiu tent you would have spent the same on a far superior Hilleberg. Watch eBay for Hillebergs.

I''ll have to check them out. Thanks for the input.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I picked up the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 last year. Even though it's listed as a 2 person tent, its really only suitable for 1. I'm a little concerned about how it'll handle a big wind storm, but other than that I'm really happy with it. Size and weight are really reasonable for backpacking.

I'd also check out the floor less options. Seek Outside LBO with vestibule or Kifaru Megatarp with annex are a palace for one guy, can handle two and weigh less than screened and floored tents.

You our can also add a titanium wood stove. Bug season you can use a bivy or in the case of the LBO their nest.

Very light, spacious and versatile.

I am am using the LBO and Borah gear bivy or a tyvek sheet for when bugs are absent for this season. Wish I had ordered my stove in time as looks like we'll get rained on next week.

I'll post a review next week but tons of reviews on both all around the internets.

Www.seekoutside.com or www.kifaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    I'd also check out the floor less options. Seek Outside LBO with vestibule or Kifaru Megatarp with annex are a palace for one guy, can handle two and weigh less than screened and floored tents.

You our can also add a titanium wood stove. Bug season you can use a bivy or in the case of the LBO their nest.

Very light, spacious and versatile.

I am am using the LBO and Borah gear bivy or a tyvek sheet for when bugs are absent for this season. Wish I had ordered my stove in time as looks like we'll get rained on next week.

I'll post a review next week but tons of reviews on both all around the internets.

Www.seekoutside.com or www.kifaru.com
    Cool, the megatarp just seems like a lot to pay for something with no floor. But then again, quality doesn't come cheap
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
    Cool, the megatarp just seems like a lot to pay for something with no floor. But then again, quality doesn't come cheap
    Ya, nothing Kifaru is cheap. I went LBO with the vestibule for the versatility. Ample shelter without the vestibule on a dry warm trip. Be like having the garage door open. You can see on their site you can combo up other "parts" to make bigger shelters. Price was better which was a factor. But hasn't stopped me from still wanting to try a Megatarp.

That said, Kifaru is a classic case of buy once cry once. Plus they hold their resale value insanely well. And sell quickly on Rokslide.

I look at the lack of floor as a plus. Hard to make a mess, keep your boots on with no muck or crap to shake out later. But I hear you, you'd think it'd go the other way with the price.

Both made in America to order. So you know someone who gives a crap is putting your shelter together. Which isn't to say there is problems with high end gear made overseas. Unless the company specs and chosen materials aren't terrible... *cough* KUIU *cough*. But really where stuff is made matters less and less to me if its a brand I trust. To either get it right or do the right thing if it isn't right.

I am just outside Logan Lake most weekends from now through end of November. If you're heading up that way and want to take a look, send word.

A much more economical and sounds like plenty fine floor less model is the Mountainsmith LT. SR80 just got one and said he likes what he sees so far after setting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    That said, Kifaru is a classic case of buy once cry once. Plus they hold their resale value insanely well. And sell quickly on Rokslide.

I am just outside Logan Lake most weekends from now through end of November. If you're heading up that way and want to take a look, send word.
    Yeah, I will be going the Kifaru route for a pack and there definitely will be some crying when I pay for that, but if that is the only time that pack makes me cry it will be worth it. Thanks for the offer to check the LBO out, I will be sure to let you know if I am in the neighborhood.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Sylus, I have a seekoutside LBO with 3 piece vestibule for sale. brand new never used. let me know if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Sylus, I have a seekoutside LBO with 3 piece vestibule for sale. brand new never used. let me know if you want it.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to get the funds together for Kifaru DT1 right now however. Shelter will have to wait until I sort that out.
    - Theodore Roosevelt